Safale-05 @ 58F -- What to expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbytuck

Reaction score
I'm currently brewing a Cascadian Dark/Black IPA, and I decided to use Safale-05 at 55-58F.

I pitched @ 62F. Fermentation took about 36 hours to get started, but right now it's bubbling away nicely at 58F.

Any idea what I can expect with this temp? I've heard 05 has a 'peachy-ness' when fermented cool. Anything else?

You'll most definitely get some peachy flavors. I have a house amber I ferment at that temperature with S-05 all the time. I like the peachy flavor. Not sure what your hop schedule was, but it might play nicely with some of those flavors. Fermentation might take a day or two longer.

UPDATE:

Wow!

6 days in the fermenter. Right now, it's at 1.024 (from 1.065) and dropping slowly.

The peach flavor is definitely there but nicely subdued.What an interesting mix of flavors: Columbus/Citra/Centennial/Willamette hops with a nice malt layer -- and the soft peach from the yeast. The hop aroma is very mellow -- slightly sweet. Very nice!

Amazing. I'm sipping a half pint straight out of the fermenter, and it's fantastic. There's still a bit of sweetness -- I'm hoping to hit 1.016 or less, but S-05 @ 58F is definitely interesting. I plan on doing 05 @ 58F for the remaining beers I brew this summer.

Here's the full recipe:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Cascadian Dark Ale
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.18 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 41.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 94.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 41.30 %
4.00 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 34.78 %
0.50 lb Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (Briess) (1.4 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
0.25 lb Black Malt - 2-Row (Briess) (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.17 %
5.00 oz Hopshot (Extract) [2.43 %] (60 min) Hops 40.5 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (20 min) Hops 28.3 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (10 min) Hops 16.9 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SHops -
1.50 lb Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 13.04 %
2 Pkgs SafAle American (DCL #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 13.30 qt of water at 160.7 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 7.00 qt of water at 206.9 F 168.0 F

(BTW -- I've been using Hopshot as my bittering addition -- all 5ml -- and it's been working out great. It's more of an experiment than anything else -- but I've been happy with the flavor. I decided to do this for my bittering this season and then adding the remaining hops late in the 90 minute boil.)

Noo!!!! This isnt what I wanted to hear. I am fermenting a Terrapin Indian Brown Ale clone with 05 at 58 F hoping for a very neutral flavor.

"Peach Flavor"?

With US-05?

I ferment cool with US-05 all the time and have never noticed a peach flavor.

:confused:

I was curious about this, too -- which I was I gave it a try with the Black IPA above. It's definitely there. My SO commented on the flavor, too, and hoped it wouldn't get much stronger. Right now, it's there but fairly subdued.

This morning, I'm letting the temp rise on its own -- it's @ 62F now -- to finish out the fermentation, so I'm curious to see what happens after another week or so.

I'll post what I find.

I wonder if it has to do with the water, too? I'm using straight Chicago/Lake Michigan water with a single campden tablet in 20 gallons or so. The water is definitely on the hard side.

I get a peach/fruit ester every single time I have every used US-05, thusly, I no longer use it.

However, at 58 degrees I would also assume you may not get to full attenuation, since you 90% there, it may be a good idea to start warming it up a tad to encourage the yeast to finish up.

I've never noticed any off flavors from US-05 at cool temps & I use it all the time. I think you'll be fine. After packaging let it age 6-8 weeks and I'll bet you're happy with the results. RDWHAHB

Never any peach flavors, always ferment on the cool side, 60f-64f. That's 20+ batches as 05 is my go to dry yeast.

UPDATE:

Looks like it's finishing at 1.014 or so -- around 77% attenuation with Safale-05 @ 58F for 7 days and then another couple days to rise on its own. The taste now is hoppy, lightly peachy, with only a bit of sweetness. The peach is definitely there -- but (at least out of the primary) is pretty nice against the hops and the malt. Not overwhelming at all.

I'll let this sit in the primary for another 5 days or so, bottle it, and then hope for the best. I guess I'll keep fermenting at 58F for the rest of the summer. It's an interesting flavor that 05 has at this temp -- and I'm anxious to see what it's like on a couple of other beers. I've got a dry stout and a strong ale on deck.

I just did a 1.055 IPA (finished a bit lower due to poor efficency) and chilled it to 57 or 58 in my mini fridge, and the US05 did a great job, got it down to 1.010 after a week! It is being dry hopped right now.

Ill have to see if I notice the peachy flavor but if it isnt too strong I am sure I will like it.

UPDATE:

Wow! This one's nice. One week in the bottle, but it carb'd nicely. Still a bit green -- but the peachy aroma from the cool fermentation is pretty much gone. What's here is a nice, hoppy, jammy/figgy black IPA. OG: 1.065 / FG: 1.012.

Delicious.

i'm glad to hear others are having decent experience with 05 at 58, i never cared for the beers that i fermented that low.

Latest posts

Back