Switching DME with LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjzelectric

Reaction score
Im a bonehead and I went to the LHBS trying to memorize my recipe for an oatmeal stout. Turns out I remembered everything except for the fact that I got LME instead of DME. Does this make a difference?

Not really, you will need to adjust the amount however. You will need a little more LME to = what the DME would give you as far as OG is concerned. I forget the conversion, Im sure someone will chime in with it.

Not really, but it's not a 1 for 1 substitution. I think 1 pound LME = .75 pound DME. So, you may be a little light on extract if you got the same # of pounds in the LME. If you post the recipe, we can run it through some software and check and see how the OG would change.

3.3 lbs. pale malt extract (DME) in boil
3.3 lbs. pale malt extract (DME) at knockout
.5 lbs crystal malt 120L
.5 lbs roasted barley

BG for 3 gallons 1.048
OG for 5 gallons 1.054

1 oz. nugget hops
1 oz. willamette hops

Total IBUs 45

The original recipe calls for oatmeal extract which my LHBS didnt have so I bought .5lbs of oats and 6.6lbs of dark LME.

I am showing an OG of 1.059 with 6.6lbs of DME

I am showing an OG of 1.046 with 6.6lbs of LME

You could probably use another .5 lbs of oats for the beer, but it wont be a real issue.

Back