Beer styles at 72-75 degree fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtb178

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'd like to brew something soon, but can't guarantee my fermentation temperatures lower than 72-75. I can chill my wort to 60-65, but upon pitching, it will rise to the above temp.

What styles would this situation work with? Saison for sure. Any others?

I'd look into doing a Saison or other Farmhouse style beers. I did a German Dampfbier that is very tasty and thrives at higher temps.

I would think some Belgian dubbel\tripel would do really well at this temp depending on if you like a high ester\phenol content.

BTW I had a similar problem as you and I bought a few of these and I love them: Cool Brewing

From the Cool Brewing website: "Will work great in condos and warm climates where you need a swamp cooler even for Ale’s!"

<twitch> I think I just died a little inside. Misplaced apostrophes drive me nuts.

But it does look like an awesome solution. I may get one.

Saisons do wll at that temp. 3711 and Belle Saison are good choices.

I keep hearing people suggesting Belgians, but this is not really true. They need to be temp controlled for the first few days. If Belgian yeasts get too hot too soon they will produce fusels that will not go away. When I was just starting out I took the bad advice that Belgians can be fermented warm, and produced a batch that had bad fusels. They neverr really went away.

I wish this myth would stop being repeated.

Saisons do wll at that temp. 3711 and Belle Saison are good choices.

I keep hearing people suggesting Belgians, but this is not really true. They need to be temp controlled for the first few days. If Belgian yeasts get too hot too soon they will produce fusels that will not go away. When I was just starting out I took the bad advice that Belgians can be fermented warm, and produced a batch that had bad fusels. They neverr really went away.

I wish this myth would stop being repeated.

I've had really good luck with belgians into the mid 70's no fussels that anyone seemed to complain of. BUT I do make sure it's a very stable temp and not swinging all over the range. And typically I use a rope tub with a few ice bottles for the first day. But that's only in the last few brews.

IMHO if you can get your wort to 60 and pitch, you will be good there for most styles. Your temps will get a little high but should be fine for most yeast. Perfect no, but I have done plenty of beets that way. If you can only get temps to 70-75 and pitch then it is tougher, but getting to 60 I think you will be ok

US-05 should be totally fine to 72F, and probably even up to about 75F. This leaves your options wide open.

Kujo said:
I've had really good luck with belgians into the mid 70's no fussels that anyone seemed to complain of. BUT I do make sure it's a very stable temp and not swinging all over the range. And typically I use a rope tub with a few ice bottles for the first day. But that's only in the last few brews.

Rope tubs with ice bottles work great and I was able to find some insulated cooler material on eBay that are cut to surround and cover them for around 15 bucks a piece I believe it was

I can keep around 60 with two frozen water bottles changes a day

Back