Can't Tell if Fermwrap is working

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ITbrewer229

Reaction score
I just bought a new Fermwrap heater with a Johnson Controller. Last night my carboy dropped to 60 degrees from a 70 degree setpoint.

The Controller appears to be calling for heater to be on but to take that out of the equation, I plugged the Fermwrap directly into outlet and it still feels room temp. Should it at least feel warm? I'm trying to figure out if I need to contact vendor that it's faulty.

Thanks in advance!

I experienced the same thing. I was given the fermwrap by a friend and it had never been opened. I called Fermentap to ask how long it should take to warm up. We determined it was defective. Because it was a gift I had no receipt. However, the customer service rep was able to look up my friend's name and confirm he had purchased one. They sent a replacement free of charge (despite having no receipt to show). I have not yet used it, but have plugged it in and could feel the warmth rather quickly. I haven't used it yet as I found an old heating pad to use in the fermentation chamber while I awaited the new fermwrap. Good luck!

I have been using mine for a while now and it gets warm to the touch fairly quickly. It never gets "hot" (a good thing) but you should be able to tell a defn difference from on and off.

I've also had the little clips where it attaches to the wrap come loose. Clamping them tighter fixed it.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

The clamps are good and I know the controller works because I found a heating pad that I used with the Johnson controller which looks like it saved the day. Carboy temp at 69 degrees now.

I'm going to reach out to the vendor regarding the Fermwrap.

Thanks again!

So I reached out to the vendor (www.morebeer.com). I stumbled across these guys in my Brew Your Own subscription and decided to give them a try. They really do rock.

When I told them about the Fermwrap, they immediately replaced it (had a tracking number by the end of the same day) and was told I don't need to worry about sending the old one back.

Back