Which yeast to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickN100

Reaction score
Mixed up yeast and wort boiling. Which one to use for simple lovebite weizenbier?
Nottingham Ale Yeast
Or
Safale us 05 dry ale yeast.
One is for an IPA BREWING later. Much thanks !!!

Those two are more similar than different, both good in an IPA but neither one is close to a German hefeweizen yeast. I guess if I had to choose I'd go with Notty for the weizen but they're both going to give you more of an American style wheat. If you want the German wheat yeast characteristics you're going to have to get new yeast.

chickypad said:
Those two are more similar than different, both good in an IPA but neither one is close to a German hefeweizen yeast. I guess if I had to choose I'd go with Notty for the weizen but they're both going to give you more of an American style wheat. If you want the German wheat yeast characteristics you're going to have to get new yeast.

If you want to stick with dry yeast, WB-06 works well with a hefe.

Pretty much spot on. Both Notty and 05 are low ester producing yeasts which is exactly the opposite of what makes a weizen. However I have heard you can get some fruity esters out of Notty if you can maintain a high fermentation temperature (~80f)...

Btw OP you didn't boil the yeast in your wort did you? That first sentence has me confused...:confused:

Neither! As stated earlier, the yeast plays a big role in producing the final flavor of a weiss, and neither one of those yeasts will give you that weiss character.

If you want to stick with dry yeast, get Safale WB-06. 3068 is a great liquid yeast for weiss. Both stay in suspension (low floccuation) and produce esters that define the weiss style.

When you get to your IPA, you can use either the Notty or the S-05. Notty is slightly more neutral than S-05, S-05 produces some slight floral esters that compliment IPAs with florally hops.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back