Good beer in a very specific area of Denver

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know that there have been more than a few threads about getting good beer in Denver, but I will be arriving in Denver by plane the day before my dad and brother arrive by car. Since I will already be spending a pretty penny on the cab ride to my hotel, I was hoping someone could recommend a brew pub or a tap room within walking distance of the Holiday Inn in Stapleton on E. Quebec St. Sorry to be so specific as this will probably not help anyone else out, but Yelp's good for finding places, not so much for telling if the place is any good or not. I'll cough up the cash for a cab ride if I need to, I'm not that broke, but I'd rather not. Thanks.

I don't actually know the area well, but it sounds like you may not be that far from Dry Dock. Try seeing how far away it is. I've just had their bottled beers, but they range from very good to excellent.

Thank you for the reply, but unfortunately they're about 15 miles away from where I'll be staying. I've heard good things about them, though, so it's probably worth the cab ride. BTW, what are cab prices like in Denver?

The old stapleton area isn't really the epicenter of great... anything, really. You could probably find a wide variety of 40's at the closest 711. All joking aside, I could be missing a "diamond in the rough" that I didn't know about, but it wasn't my favorite area to go to, sorta ghetto. You really gotta get downtown for all the good stuff, but that's quite a cab fare away...

Not familiar with the area... but visited Wynkoop by the stadium last summer. Not sure where that is in relation to where you are.

The old stapleton area isn't really the epicenter of great... anything, really. You could probably find a wide variety of 40's at the closest 711. All joking aside, I could be missing a "diamond in the rough" that I didn't know about, but it wasn't my favorite area to go to, sorta ghetto. You really gotta get downtown for all the good stuff, but that's quite a cab fare away...

Thanks for the heads up. Looking at Google Maps it seems like a decent area. Right down the road from a Double Tree which I've always thought of as a pretty upscale hotel, but I guess it figures. It's right down the road from MLK and everyone knows that MLK in any city is a bad place to be, at least that's the warning I've been given every time I get stationed in a new city. That being the case, I think I'll pony up the dough for the cab ride downtown even if there is something close to my hotel.

Not familiar with the area... but visited Wynkoop by the stadium last summer. Not sure where that is in relation to where you are.

That's across town from where I'll be staying, but as I said in my previous post, I'll be cabbing it anyway, so I might make it over there. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the heads up. Looking at Google Maps it seems like a decent area. Right down the road from a Double Tree which I've always thought of as a pretty upscale hotel, but I guess it figures. It's right down the road from MLK and everyone knows that MLK in any city is a bad place to be, at least that's the warning I've been given every time I get stationed in a new city. That being the case, I think I'll pony up the dough for the cab ride downtown even if there is something close to my hotel.

Yeah, that's the thing - it looks decent on paper, good hotels, etc. But being an (ex) airport area, that's all there is, hotels, the rest is pretty much, eh, you're not gonna get shanked for standing on the corner, but it's not an area you want to walk around a lot. You're pretty much right about MLK, I mean it's not South central, LA, but there's not any great attractions. Cab fare ain't cheap but you could make a whole day of the breweries/pubs you'd find downtown so just look into that and make your trip worth it! So many withing walking distance of each other once you get downtown.

Cab fare ain't cheap but you could make a whole day of the breweries/pubs you'd find downtown so just look into that and make your trip worth it! So many withing walking distance of each other once you get downtown.

Awesome! I don't get in until 6 pm so I figure I won't make it downtown until about 8 pm considering I need to check into my hotel and all, but I should have plenty of time to do a fair bit of exploring before places start closing down. Now I just have to decide if I should do a one man pub crawl or find one place and try all their brews. Decisions, decisions. :D

The comments about being an ex-airport are correct but, the area has been redeveloped. Google Stapleton and check out some of the sites and you'll find of places within walking distance to get some good food and drinks. An awesome community now though you can't walk to a brewery though. The closest one is Caution Brewery which is about 2-3 miles east of your hotel. Great people and great beer, no food but you can order in, and food trucks park in their lot from time to time (open Friday-Sunday only). Downtown, near Coors field, is your best bet for a brew pub crawl. I would maybe start at River North Brewery and wander around from there.

I live in Stapleton, feel free to send me a message with any questions or to hit me up for ride.

JF_HBrews said:
The comments about being an ex-airport are correct but, the area has been redeveloped. Google Stapleton and check out some of the sites and you'll find of places within walking distance to get some good food and drinks. An awesome community now though you can't walk to a brewery though. The closest one is Caution Brewery which is about 2-3 miles east of your hotel. Great people and great beer, no food but you can order in, and food trucks park in their lot from time to time (open Friday-Sunday only). Downtown, near Coors field, is your best bet for a brew pub crawl. I would maybe start at River North Brewery and wander around from there.

I live in Stapleton, feel free to send me a message with any questions or to hit me up for ride.

Thanks for the updated info. Glad to hear it from someone who lives there. I may take you up on the ride and thanks for the offer. Cheers!

I second Caution. Right off the interstate coming from DIA. Very friendly and relaxed!

Back