1st batch of mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripod006

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm glad I found this forum. 36 hours ago I started my first batch of mead. It is bubbling away and I'm Happy as things seem to be going well. It's only a 1 gallon batch. Tomorrow I'm going to start another 1 gal batch. I like the FAQ part of this forum as it is very informative. I'm going to spend a lot of time reading through the posts. so I may not have much to say at first. cya

My 1st batch of mead I started last Monday is still bubbling away but at a slower rate. Ahhh if only I could move forward in time about 10 months. I hope to rack in a week or two. Meanwhile, I made about 8 bottles of Mulsum to hold me over for a bit. This site is cool, so far just by going back and reading, all the question I had have been answered!

I've never heard of mulsum before. I just googled it and see that its a mixture of white wine and unfermented honey.

What grape varietal did you use ?

It seems to me that Sauvignon Blanc would be a good choice, anyone else have recommendations for this ?

For the Mulsum I'm drinking I'm using the cheapest wine I could find which is Carlo Rossi, Chablis. lol I got 2, 4 liter jugs. Added a pinch of nutmeg and ground cinnamon, a whole clove and a 1/2 pound of honey for each litre. Slowly warmed it up to about 160 degrees and let cool to room temp and bottled. It tastes almost like some sweet mead I had a while ago. They say you can use white or red wines. Soonish I'm going to try an inexpensive red wine.

Back