Mash Vienna like Pilsner???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sivdrinks

Reaction score
IVe read that Vienna and Munich are higher kilned lager malts. Does that mean it's pilsner malt so I need to mash and boil for 90 minutes? I talking like as a base, not just a pound or two.

I did a Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH, fermented with US-05 and only mashed and boiled for 60 minutes with very good results. It probably won't hurt to go 90 minutes but I don't think it is necessary.

OClairBrew said:
I did a Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH, fermented with US-05 and only mashed and boiled for 60 minutes with very good results. It probably won't hurt to go 90 minutes but I don't think it is necessary.

What were your impressions of all Vienna? Also, did that turn out like an IPA or a Cali Common?

I really liked the Vienna, it has a unique malty flavor that really stands out. Mine came out like a cross between an APA and Negro Modelo, very tasty. The Cali Common I just brewed has a more toasty flavor from the Victory malt I used and it didn't have as much hop presence.

Vienna and Munich are higher kilned malts- that means they are darker than pilsner malt (which is very light). They don't require a long mash or a long boil.

Back