Souther Tier 2xIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage06

Reaction score
I am normally a fan of very big IPAs. I had this beer the other day and man it smelled and tasted like Skunky Weed. I've had and used many hop varieties in brewing but nothing that hit THIS note of skunkyness.

Was not a fan at all, very very sweet (as most southern tiers i have had) and combined with the skunky hops it has to be one of my least favorite beers.

Anybody have any idea what varieties they use so I know what to avoid.

been drinking that pretty regularly lately (much to my detriment as its 8.2%abv) and i think you just got a bad batch.

i'll agree its a bit sweet and definitely a bit over the top on the hops. but hey, WYSIWYG, it is after all a double IPA.

as you say you've tried some of their others so you must know they have some that are really tasty. think i am gonna switch back to their regular IPA after the sixer in my fridge is gone.

THREAD RESSURECTION - sorry

Doesn't look like it was much of a thread to begin with, though.

Anyway, I just had a bottle of the Southern Tier 2XIPA and didn't think I needed to start a new thread to comment on it. I just searched for and found a thread discussing the main point that I was going to make.

The overwhelming dank, skunk hopness of this beer is a little ridiculous. When I say skunk, I don't mean it like "Oh man, this beer must've sat out in the sun, it's all skunky." No, I mean that dank ish.

It was certainly a well-made beer (if a little too sweet). But I'm glad I only bought a single bottle and I don't think I'll buy any more in the near future.

Do I sound like a bumbling idiot or does somebody out there know what I'm talking about?

Back