washed yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambogi76

Reaction score
over a month ago I made a german pils, and after I racked to the keg to lager I washed the yeast. I have 2 mason jars both with a cup of yeast that has settled (this is compacted not a slurry). How much of a starter do I need to make to reuse. I have washed yeast before but I usually dont have this much left. I figure I should use the contents of one jar with a small starter to check viability.

I don't have a scientific answer, just what I would do...I would go to Mr. Malty and figure out how much slurry I needed for my planned brew, measure that out, and put it into a 250-500ml (depending on how big a beer I was making) starter to wake it up/check viability.

According to Mr. Malty I need around 200 ml of the slurry. But I want to make a starter to check viability and to get the yeast active again. I have all of my DME pre-measured for a 2 liter starter (which doubles the population). So I need 100 ml of the slurry for the starter... correct?

Are you asking if 100 times 2 equals 200?

Sorry, could not resist.

Be sure to pour off MOST of the liquid above the yeast then swirl it and measure that for a good thick slurry. You would have to pitch a "Boat Load" to be pitching TOO much. IMO, it is better to pitch a little too much, than any too little.

Back