Small batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tysonj55

Reaction score
I've got about 2# of crushed grains in my fridge that need to be used as I've heard that they don't keep too long. Anyway I could do a 1.5 gal batch but all I have is 5 gallon carboy and 6.5 gallon ale pail available. Will that be too much head space for a primary? If so, any suggestions on what I could use? I probably need to get it done this week so no time to order anything.

Thanks,

Are the grains vacumed sealed? If they are I woud say wait till you can get a full 5 gallon batch going.

Unfortunately no. I don't have a food saver. Currently they are in ziploc bags and plastic containers in the freezer. I searched the furum and it seems that opinions vary on storage for crushed grains.

I just did a batch with 3.0# of Marris Otter to try to start up SMaSHing. I did a 1hour mash at 152, and tried to do a full boil, but think I undershot, finished at about 1 gallon at 1.072 (after racking to secondary it was about .7-.8 gallons.

That first batch I did the batch in three growlers from a local brewery (FREE STATE!!!) as I didn't want to do a blowoff and I have alot of airlocks, and then combined in a gallon milk jug (used for bottled water previously) for secondary.

The second such batch I did another, this time with 3.5# (1.060), filled to about 1.2 gallons in a 2 gallon 'ale pale' from a lhbs, which I think you could approximate from a local hardware store.

For those interested in the brews:

The first is a 1.072 Marris Otter with .16oz FWH, .16oz 60min, .33oz 15 min, .33oz 0min, .5 oz dry hop, all Palisade.

The second was 1.060 Golden promise with the same schedule Simcoe.

Will taste soon!

Back