Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey chris have you thought about a 10 gallon split robust or we gonna brew separate batches of random stuff?

doesn't matter. i got the new element i'm wanting to try out, i don't think it will bring 10 gallons to a boil, though. and I know I don't have enough propane for 10 gallons. Do we even have a chiller big enough for 10 gallons. I only have a 25' one and it takes awhile on 5 gallons batches. Of course, we could no chill it.

I got all of my dry hops out of my IIPA that I just kegged and I plan on reusing them in a beer. Not gonna get all scientific with it, probably just throw some **** together and see how it turns out.

oh, right when i got to work today this guy brought a beer and he wanted to know what was wrong with it. Smelled it .... "you brewed this with tap water" ... "yup". Tasted and smelled just like chlorine. He was pretty bummed about it, said he had another 10 gallons in the primary.

the tapwater beer syndrome is amongst all of us... :(

but yeah I can get some propane for friday if you want, or we could just do a batch each. that way I try my new burner and you try your new heatstick!

so wednesday night when I'm on my overnight shift I'm gonna go ahead and think up something to brew. I'm thinking a stout... or maybe I should do this hefe... I've had the grains crushed from AHS in my freezer for like a month at least... damn...

doesn't matter. i got the new element i'm wanting to try out, i don't think it will bring 10 gallons to a boil, though. and I know I don't have enough propane for 10 gallons. Do we even have a chiller big enough for 10 gallons. I only have a 25' one and it takes awhile on 5 gallons batches. Of course, we could no chill it.

if you dont do no chill, i have a submersible pump i use to circ ice water through your chiller that you could use. it cools amazingly fast.

the tapwater beer syndrome is amongst all of us... :(

I am still not convinced the tapwater is the problem. I have had a couple of batches that had a phenolic edge to them, but most turn out excellent. Barron couldn't detect a hint of chlorophenols in my tapwater Koelsch, for instance, which you would think is very susceptible to off-flavors.

It may also have to do with process - since I partial-boil, I pre-boil the hell out of my top-up water the day before, and I usually do 90-minute wort boils. The batches I had where I did notice a phenolic off-flavor were boiled for 15 or 60 minutes. GRU claims they use chlorine rather than chloramine, so that would make sense.

It might also have to do with the water lines. I noticed that tap water tastes differently in different parts of town even though it all comes from the same source. Maybe some of the lines impart "neighborhood flavors" that contribute to off-flavors in beer.

In any case, it's probably still better to spend the extra $4 and go with bottled water. At some point, I'll have to do a side-by-side comparison and bring it to one of our meet-ups.

I boil usually about 10 mins before hop additions... then 60 mins.

I've been brewing for about 3 years and August was the first time I made a beer with tap water, and it was the first beer that tasted like poolwater. every beer since then has had that taste and it was the only thing that changed in my process.

I then switched to bottled again for my last brew and we're back to normal.

you're lucky to have good tapwater but I definitely have chloramine in mine. despite what GRU may tell you.

what yeasts do you guys recommend for a stout? with that in mind, what yeasts do you recommend for a stout, to be repitched later into a Russian Imperial when I make it in January?

what yeasts do you guys recommend for a stout? with that in mind, what yeasts do you recommend for a stout, to be repitched later into a Russian Imperial when I make it in January?

I agree with the different water tastes around town. My beers never tasted like pool water, just not right. They seemed murky, like you couldn't pick out anything. This also happened when I switched to tap. Although I did get one good beer out of tap water, the Munich/NB SMaSH. Cooked dinner last night at the new house. Bit into the pasta, all you could taste was the water. I didn't say anything and waited for Sarah to taste it. She said the same thing. Definately not brewing with this tap water.

Friend of mine south of town on Archer road uses extract with 100% tap water and I think his beer tastes fine. So I definitely think there's some variation in the amount of chlorine or choramine depending on where you are. 5 gal of RO water is $2.50 from the machine at Publix, so I see no reason to risk it with tap anymore.

Anybody got any bottles of uunwanted or showoff homebrew? I stupidly promised my buddy in te beginning of the semester not anticipating tapwater gtossness. I have 2 to give him but they taste like garbage.

Please help! I'll come pick them up tonight if possible

i can bottle up some DIPA tonight. They'll need to be drunk soon. I can never hold carbonation witht the way I bottle from the keg. You got any empty bottles?

yeah I got one empty bottle.. maybe 2.

I can take yours and then bottle mine too! Even though mine is not carbed. I ran out of co2 :((((

i can bottle up some DIPA tonight. They'll need to be drunk soon. I can never hold carbonation witht the way I bottle from the keg. You got any empty bottles?

i just had chris's IIPA tonight and its delicious. :mug:
i have a beer gun if you guys want to use it.

ed- i just remembered i forgot to bring that glass etching kit. ill try to remember next time.

the great brewoff. lol

I need to fill my propane for the brewoff.

Im gonna bring all my **** and use it altogether for the first time.

Anybody got any bottles of uunwanted or showoff homebrew? I stupidly promised my buddy in te beginning of the semester not anticipating tapwater gtossness. I have 2 to give him but they taste like garbage.

Please help! I'll come pick them up tonight if possible

Did Chris say if we could leave any at the shop for you? If not give me a PM shout and you can come pick some up from me tonight if you have the time. I've got an English IPA, a Dunkelweizen and a Vienna/NortherBrewer SMASH bottled that can be chilled and consumed now.

for sure.

I'm gonna bring my double ipa on friday if you guys wanna try it! I ran out of co2 so there's not much carbonation. :(

I think it's gonna be bitter party on Friday, I'm bringing my Special Bitter along as well. We're not going to have taste buds after a bitter and two IIPAs.

dude, Barron has me teaching the partial mash section of the class this saturday. i've never done a (successful) partial mash. i keep telling him I've never done one, he's just ignoring me. i'm gonna brand him with my heat stick.

I am sure you will have your first successful partial mash this Saturday. Wish I didn't have finals in tampa or would come back for sure.

You want me to bring my stuff for it?

what do you have?

10855_1271786507066_1001976068_30860385_2680948_n.jpg

will anyone else be there friday at the big brew?

I hope so, but I've got a work X-mas party and another X-mas party from my daughter's dance team I have to go to - will have to see how the timing works out. I should be there for the class on Saturday.

dude, Barron has me teaching the partial mash section of the class this saturday. i've never done a (successful) partial mash. i keep telling him I've never done one, he's just ignoring me. i'm gonna brand him with my heat stick.

It's easy. Mash the grains like you would with all-grain, then just add the malt extract during the boil.

I think I'll be there for the Sat class. What time/place is the Friday thing? Did that ever get decided?

I might be showing 2 extract brewers how to do bag-mashed all-grain this Sunday!

Chris, I've been telling everyone about the no-chill method. You guys need to buy a couple of those vessels from US Plastics and mark 'em up about 40% for re-sale.

I think I'll be there for the Sat class. What time/place is the Friday thing? Did that ever get decided?

I might be showing 2 extract brewers how to do bag-mashed all-grain this Sunday!

Chris, I've been telling everyone about the no-chill method. You guys need to buy a couple of those vessels from US Plastics and mark 'em up about 40% for re-sale.

Friday at my place at some time.

Barron actually did a no chill monday night ... into a glass container!!! We'll see how it tastes saturday.

Back