Citrus Flavor added at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlnash16

Reaction score
Hi, I brewed my first beer last week...a blonde ale kit that came with my kit. I decided I wanted to add citrus flavor to this and found some recipes that said add 4 lemon an 4 lime zest the last 15 minutes of the boil. I wasn't ready and only added 2 of each. Well I took my first reading today, 8 days in (1.018 should be 1.012), after fermentation seems to have died down, and tasted beer and no citrus flavor at all. What can I do at bottling to get citrus or lime flavor in?

Put it into a secondary with the zests.More aroma than flavor,but you'll get some.

I would suggest you boil it for less time, and add some more next time. BUt it is a bit early to really judge your beer. Subtleties will arise over time.

There are some good recipes and threads on here about witbiers and best ways to add citrus flavour. Try researching some of those too.

Yea, I will put more in next time. I read about different ways to add the citrus flavor and will try some different methods. Just need to get something that has that flavor for the wife...that was the deal for buying all the equipment.

Another question...I know they say to add fruit to the secondary but could you put fruit in a primary after the main fermentation is complete? Only asking because I don't have a secondary yet. Thanks.

I use 2 lemons and just grate all the rine off and boil for 15 minutes. Last batch had a lot of citric flavor and aroma.

In your beer's current stage of beer, you could rack into a secondary with lemon/lime juice and also throw in frozen lemons. The cell walls will have ruptured from the water freezing, thus imparting more flavor.

Will you be bottling or kegging the beer?

I will be bottling. I was thinking of doing a secondary but currently don't own one so was trying to see what else wasa out there.

Back