Setting Up a Randalizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shine

Reaction score
All you 40-pound brains out there - I'm looking for some help. i want to set up a randalizer inside my kegerator to run my beer through hops, fruit, flowers, toy soldiers... whatever. I've got a good inline portable filter casing (about 750 ml capacity) and what I'm concerned with is what foam havoc it is going to cause when I hook it up.

Right now, I'm running 6 foot of 1/4" beer line between my kegs and taps. I'm using stout taps with the degassing plates removed (except on stouts with nitro, of course) and I'm not having foaming issues at all. I'm wondering how I can calculate and compensate for going from 1/4" to a 750 ml space and back into a 1/4" line through to the tap. Will I need to lengthen or shorten my line for that system? My plan is to set up a completely different shank and balance the line independently. When I want to use it, I'll switch the shank and have it set up with (hopefully) the right line length and the inline filter already set up. Any thoughts out there?

Ready, Set, ... Wait for it... GO!

It's probably going to foam somewhat no matter what you do. Most of the canister filters i've seen use 3/4" fittings so you'll need adaptors on either side if you want them run back to 1/4" line. If foaming is a terrible problem, you may have to dial back the serving pressure.

Back