First brew questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubbcap

Reaction score
I did a brew of dead guy ale last night. I was able to get most of the solids that were left but not all. Will this ruin the brew? Can I strain it? Will this kill the yeast? This is my first brew!

Nope. None of the stuff in the kettle is harmful and most will settle out, especially if you give it time and don't agitate the fermenter much. Leave it alone for 2-3 weeks minimum, and try to keep it in the 60's but without big temperature swings. Cool and steady is the key, that and patience. It will look and smell all kinds of weird while it ferments...totally normal.

This isn't the last brew with some extra's in the bottom of the bucket for you.
Not sure what your solids were, but if they were part of the brew, it's not going to be a big deal.

You can strain it as I read some do it to help oxygenate the wort prior to adding yeast. It won't ruin it, just avoid it when it's time to keg/bottle.

I pour the chilled wort & top off water through a fine mesh strainer into the FV. It gets most of the grainy hoppy stuff out. But the floury really fine stuff gets through. But it setles out & with extracts gives about 3/8" of trub.

Back