Anyone done a GSC Thin Mint Milk Stout??!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

Would love to get feedback... Had a crazy thought tonight (while eating a thin mint cookie bar) to brew a Girl Scout Thin Mint Milk Stout!!! Was curious if any other wackos out there have tried this or tried it with a similar style ale??! LEt me know! Thanks guys!:mug:

On Deck: Chinook IPA Experiment
Fermenting: Left Hand Milk Stout clone
Secondary: Schlafly Pumpkin clone
Conditioning: Boulevard Nutcracker Ale clone,
Drinking: Mild English brown ale

I have not tried anything yet. I am working on a recipe for a porter or stout with mint as an accent. I think this would be a better Christmas brew than some weird spiced thing. I will work on the recipe and post it later for review.

So I am finally getting around to my attempt at the Thin mint beer. I have a good porter with some good roast flavor as well as some chocolate and coffee flavors. I normally dry hop the beer to give it an extra dimension. This time around I will be pulling and kegging 4 gallons on the dry hop and then I will add some peppermint with a little sugar so the yeast can scrub off the oxygen and soon I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Here is the base porter recipe:

1.057 OG 38 IBU 28 SRM 5 Gallon batch

9 # pale malt
1# flaked barley
.75# crystal 120
.75# chocolate malt 350 L

1 oz willamette @ 60
1 oz willamette @ 20
1 oz cascade @ 5
1.5 oz cascade DH

Instead of the Willamettes and Cascades, I would go with some Northern Brewer. It gives a minty, woody profile that I really enjoy in porters and stouts, and would mesh really well with this concept.

Instead of the Willamettes and Cascades, I would go with some Northern Brewer. It gives a minty, woody profile that I really enjoy in porters and stouts, and would mesh really well with this concept.

I agree. I should probably seek out hops that are less likely to have citrus flavors for this type of beer. I think I will start keeping something like northern brewer or fuggles on hand in the future. Currently I try to always have Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, Columbus, Willamette and Magnum on hand.

Do you think any of those might work in place of the Willamette and Cascade?

Willamette is basically US grown Fuggle, so that would do well in a stout, too. I think the minty wood profile from Northern Brewer is pretty unique, and the rest you have are all citrus American hops, save Magnum, which is a nice clean bittering hop. If you are looking for no hop presence past bittering, I would use the Magnum. If you want some character coming through, I would finish ideally with NB, but Willamette would make a damn good beer, too.

Latest posts

Back