South Florida Hop Growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just planted mine with the eyes up about an inch under the soil. I just used a potting mix soil that's heavy in mulch content. I was going to wait till it was about a foot tall to add fertilizer so I wont burn them.

I just planted mine with the eyes up about an inch under the soil. I just used a potting mix soil that's heavy in mulch content. I was going to wait till it was about a foot tall to add fertilizer so I wont burn them.

Thanks, Hope I get a sprout soon.
I don't think you can order again till next year.

Great; I'm jealous that others have seen the sprout already.
Thanks for the coffee tip I thought I read to do that.
Our soil here in Florida is mostly sand that we try to beef up with homemade compost.
So I think the roots dry enough in-between watering’s. Should I feed with Miracle Grow?

If you add crushed egg shells with the coffee grounds it will balance out the pH. Peat moss is a great soil addition if you have sandy soil. Just mix it 50/50 sandy soil/peat moss and you'll get alot better moisture/nutrient retention.

Miracle gro tends to be alittle harsh (salty) and imcomplete. Organics are the best choice when it comes to flavor and quality which is what we are going for by growing our own... I highly recomend espoma's "plant-tone" its 5-3-3 all organic and it also has 6-7 different strains of beneficial microbes so it brings life to your soil (as opposed to salt-based fertilizers that will kill your soil over time). Organics will feed at a slower rate for alot longer which makes it kinda hard to burn your plants, so you can put it on heavy.

I have been so busy at work that I haven't checked in 10 days but my centianials had one sticking out. I planted down about 4". I have a ton of rabbits and I think I will have to content with them. I haven't made a trelise wanting to see if they grow first. I think I might just runs some heavy fishing line up the pull cage and make a poor mans trelise.

@ rgarry: If you have any rough twine that would work better, the bines don't have any tendrils so their rough stem has to have something to grab and fishing line is pretty smooth.

@earthy Dankness: Thanks for the fertilizer suggestion. I read a while back that getting some "pro biotics" into your soil would be a long term strategy into controlling pests and aiding plant health but I didn't remember where I had or what the suggestion to use was. Where can you find Plant-tone?

@ rgarry: If you have any rough twine that would work better, the bines don't have any tendrils so their rough stem has to have something to grab and fishing line is pretty smooth.

@earthy Dankness: Thanks for the fertilizer suggestion. I read a while back that getting some "pro biotics" into your soil would be a long term strategy into controlling pests and aiding plant health but I didn't remember where I had or what the suggestion to use was. Where can you find Plant-tone?

The "pro-biotics" are little bacteria that colonize and feed the plant's roots by breakdowning the organic nutrients and changing them from a form the plant CAN'T use into a form that a plant CAN use. So the foundation of organic gardening is forming and growing these colonies of microbes and adding a WIDE variety of different organic so that you have a truly COMPLETE range of nutrients available so the plant can make all the complex flavors and grow to its full genetic potiential. Salt-based fertilizers like miracle-gro use chemical salt-versions of the nutrients that are in forms that the plant CAN readily use... So its like a drug, You use it, it seems to help and does well... but it leaves abunch of bad stuff in the soil and kills the microbes which makes it harder for the plant to get their nutrients naturally and thus become dependent on the substitute. And also Miracle-gro has a very narrow range of nutrients and dont have all the micronutrients plants need so it can cause micronutrient deficiency which to the untrained eye is hard to diagnose.

I have been able to find plant-tone at lowes and home depot... sometimes even walmart. Alot of the more home-gardening type nurseries will carry the big 20lb bags which are a good deal.

I apologize for this posting, but I am unable to delete it. I was trying to reply to CourtHouseBrewing. On a positive note, I am enjoying a Bell's Hopslam while trying to figure this out.

How deep did you plant?

My instructions on the rhizomes I received said to plant them one-inch below the soil. I planted them about 2-inches after reading differently elsewhere, indicating up to 4-inches. One of the Centennials is already close to a foot tall...the other one is a couple of inches and looking good. The Cascades are moving very slowly; one is very small, but has several shoots showing, the second hasn't even broken ground yet...

My instructions on the rhizomes I received said to plant them one-inch below the soil. I planted them about 2-inches after reading differently elsewhere, indicating up to 4-inches. One of the Centennials is already close to a foot tall...the other one is a couple of inches and looking good. The Cascades are moving very slowly; one is very small, but has several shoots showing, the second hasn't even broken ground yet...

Hum... Still no signs and the 25th will be 1 month.
Should I see something by now?
Could they have died?
I guess I will just keep waiting and hoping.

Keep waiting and it will probably break the surface. Make sure; it gets enough water/sun, that you didnt pack the soil down too hard and its loose enough so the plant doesnt have to fight it, and that you have good drainage.

Keep waiting and it will probably break the surface. Make sure; it gets enough water/sun, that you didnt pack the soil down too hard and its loose enough so the plant doesnt have to fight it, and that you have good drainage.

Yep, Watering every other day.
Good drainage, the soil is compost and sandy.
Morning sun afternoon shade.
Day time temp is around 80oF this time of year.
So I wait.
Thanks. :(

Watch out for snails and slugs! They went crazy on my hops practically overnight about a week ago. I went to Home Depot and got some Diatomacious Earth and powdered up the first 12" of the hops and all around each plant and the bed. No more snails except the occasional 1 or 2 that realized they made an awful mistake. I have three hops that are passing the 10 foot mark already. Woohoo!

Hum... Still no signs and the 25th will be 1 month.
Should I see something by now?
Could they have died?
I guess I will just keep waiting and hoping.

Yeah, I can't make much sense of it... One of my Centennials planted just under 2 weeks ago is over a foot tall and starting to climb the trellis, while the other is very small yet.

One of my Cascades has several (sprouts), but is not growing very quickly at all. The other Cascade hasn't broken ground at all.

See pics below...

IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0294.jpg

Well 3 of 4 have sprout but my cascades have not. After reading this thread I got some organic fertilizer. Maybe that will coax the last one up.

Here's some pics of my Cascades. I planted them a month ago. The taller one was a slow starter but has really taken off. I've even got a Brown Anole to guard them.

img6289z.jpg

img6290z.jpg

img6283j.jpg

img6279j.jpg

CourtHouseBrewing said:
Yep, Watering every other day.
Good drainage, the soil is compost and sandy.
Morning sun afternoon shade.
Day time temp is around 80oF this time of year.
So I wait.
Thanks. :(

Last year I had this happen. They are probably dead. There is good news though! Don't buy a rhizome... Seriously! You can get a half year start by getting a crown from Great Lakes Hops that already has growth on it for almost the same price as a rhizome.
Check it out:
1 of their 33 varieties- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cascade-Bee...057?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0f5d5b19

It looks like you've done your research and have well drained soil; but check the soil to make sure its not wet, I almost lost a magnum crown that I got from G.L.H. because the roots had too much water. It's in rehab now in my office where it is dry and warm!

I have 1/6 (cascade growing). I put them in the ground and wanted to see what happened. If I have to go out and water every other day, do too much on the soil, then its not worth it for me. If they grow great, but otherwise I won't put the time in.

My Centennial is over 14 feet now. Others are on their way. My Mt. Hood was stalled out for a while and didn't grow more than 4 inches and stayed there for a few weeks then all of a sudden it shot up like crazy. Sometimes they are just working on their root system so they might not be growing taller but what you can't see, the roots, might be going nuts underground. Most important thing for me is just checking the leaves for bad signs then treat it appropriately. i.e. I started having some curling of the leaves and slight burning and brittleness so I gave it some miracle grow so it has quick access to Nitrogen, Potassium and other plant loving nutrients. Fixed it right up. I use Mushroom compost as my main source of nutrients but sometimes a couple shots from the doctor is needed.

Last year I had this happen. They are probably dead. There is good news though! Don't buy a rhizome... Seriously! You can get a half year start by getting a crown from Great Lakes Hops that already has growth on it for almost the same price as a rhizome.
Check it out:
1 of their 33 varieties- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cascade-Bee...057?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0f5d5b19

It looks like you've done your research and have well drained soil; but check the soil to make sure its not wet, I almost lost a magnum crown that I got from G.L.H. because the roots had too much water. It's in rehab now in my office where it is dry and warm!

I think the Cascade just broke ground after a couple of days of rain, so maybe they are not getting enough water.

Kind of :off: but I cant seem to find a solid answer.....Im sure you all have read here that its recommended to only let 2-4 bines grow and to keep cutting the new sprouts. The reason usually given is to promote root growth from the rhizome and to focus the plant on cone production. But what if you planted a hop crown(pretty good size)??? The root structure is surely way bigger than a rhizome but does that still not make a difference on the # of bines I should grow out?

I think the Cascade just broke ground after a couple of days of rain, so maybe they are not getting enough water.

I got Cascade going now as well. Until it gets going its going to want a lot of water. Its getting to that point in the year when the heat and humidity start getting brutal so you may have to water anywhere from twice day to every other day depending on how hot it was and how often it rains. Just dont over water, its easier to see when a plant is wilting a little and is thirsty then stressed from too much water. Check out some of the cheap easy ways to make self watering containers or how to turn a water bottle into a drip irrigation system. They let the plant drink when it wants so you dont over or under water and you can just add the plants nutes to the reservoir.

shataway said:
I am near West Palm Beach. I planted cascades and centennial almost two weeks ago. I planted the rhizomes nearly 4 inches deep. My cascades is like Gallaghers and the centennials are about half that.

My two cascades rhizomes have abot 16 inches of growth each. One of my centennials never came up and the other only made about two inches before stalling. Yesterday came home and found it broken off. O for 2 on centennials. RIP

My two cascades rhizomes have abot 16 inches of growth each. One of my centennials never came up and the other only made about two inches before stalling. Yesterday came home and found it broken off. O for 2 on centennials. RIP

I doubt it was broken off. I thought the same thing on some of mine but found that it was actually Cutworms and Slugs. Go get some Diatomaceous Earth NOT from a pool center, go to Home Depot and get a bag. Gets rid of snails, slugs , and cutworms. Go out at night with a flashlight at a couple different times and look on the underside of your leaves. Stick a half filled cup of beer with some salt in it by your plants. You will find out if there is a problem with my biggest enemy, snails and slugs. They are out a lot on the really humid nights. Good Luck!

Found this on another sight.......
Posted by Laura on Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 0:28
There's an awful lot of misinformation and conflicting info out there on DE, which I'd like to try and help clear up, because I hate to think of folk eating DE with pesticide (yes, some DE has a pesticide bait, such as the bag in the image halfway up the page).
First, there are not two, but three different categories or grades of DE:

(1) Codex or "fossil shell flour," which is the true food grade and is added to animal feeds as an anti-caking agent to to assist if flowability. If you're going to take DE orally -- and I offer no advice on the wisdom of this -- you want to make sure you see the word "Codex" on the label, which tells you it has been tested and meets certain criteria, including thresholds of safety on contaminants such as arsenic and lead.

(2) pool grade, which is high in crystalline silica (the bad stuff), and, as such, works great in pool filters. But it should never, ever be used as a pesticide or in any food applications.

(3) This is the tricky category: DE pesticides, which are variously labeled as "natural" pestides for gardens, pets, grain storage and for various types of insects. This is the type of DE you will likely find in the garden section of your local store, and which will be variously described on the bag labels as "insect killers" or "pesticides," and which will not contain the word "Codex" on the label. These types of DE may (or may not) be coated with pesticides. Perma-Guard, one of the better known brands of both Codex and pesticide DEs, explains it this way on their website: "The addition of Pyrethrins and Piperonyl butoxide is to irritate the bug, causing the bug to become active, allowing the DE to work more quickly." These two pesticide compounds are commonly used in lice shampoos and in sprays & fogs for bedbugs, mosquitoes, garden pests, etc. The only way to know if the DE at your local garden center is "coated" or "baited" is to read the label. And carefully. But even if they aren't coated, they are not Codex and are therefore not considered safe for human consumption.

I hate to think of folk acting on bad advice and then munching down on DE that is either bait-coated or contains higher levels of, say, arsenic and lead. A lot of people assume that, if it's not pool grade, then it must be the Codex food grade. But there is that 3rd category, from which a good bit of confusion and misinformation seems to generate. As with any thing you use -- whether it's for bugs or people -- it's really important to read the label and to understand what you are reading.

So I cant seem to find a thread describing whats going on.....I grew my hops up a trellis and now have been training it on my lattice fence(about the last 5 ft of bines). All the leaves on the trellis are fine and all the new growth looks good, its even flowering on all 4 bines. Now I cant seem to figure out why some of my leaves(about 2ft from new growth) are starting to get really dark, crinkled under, and papery feeling. Also on the new growth the leaves are light green with dark green around the edges. Anyone have any advice?

Hop Leaf prob.jpeg

The closest looking symptom is it needs a little phosphorus... that does make sense since it just started producing cones. I have some 3-5-3 tomato food....think this would be sufficient once every other week?

So I cant seem to find a thread describing whats going on.....I grew my hops up a trellis and now have been training it on my lattice fence(about the last 5 ft of bines). All the leaves on the trellis are fine and all the new growth looks good, its even flowering on all 4 bines. Now I cant seem to figure out why some of my leaves(about 2ft from new growth) are starting to get really dark, crinkled under, and papery feeling. Also on the new growth the leaves are light green with dark green around the edges. Anyone have any advice?

My new leaves are also the same color as yours. Some of my newest ones are almost white. They're still growing though. I wonder if it isn't the heat. Mine have southern exposure with mostly afternoon sun. I also have snails eating mine, so I went out and got some slug and snail pellets that I'll be applying tonight.

shataway said:

Week 6 update
One cascade has a single bine about 53 inches. The other has three bines with about 84 inches of total growth. The lower leaves are darker in the main veins a light green on the remainder of the leaf. The upper leaves have a nice healthy green color.

Week 6 update
One cascade has a single bine about 53 inches. The other has three bines with about 84 inches of total growth. The lower leaves are darker in the main veins a light green on the remainder of the leaf. The upper leaves have a nice healthy green color.

84 inches. Wow! You must be doing something right. Mine are 2 months old and the longest bine is only about 3 feet high. What's your secret?

Bines starting to flood with these. If its going this early in the season think there is a chance of getting 2 yields this season?

You got hops already....wow. All I've got are holes from the snails eating the leaves. Mine are still growing so I guess there's still hope.

Back