1st Trip to the Local Brew Shop!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theaug

Reaction score
Today I made the trip to the local brewshop....I had been looking at their website and talked to them on the phone in order to try to get an idea of how much I was about to spend. They had kits listed for $69.00 bucks and I thought "great.....I'll get that and maybe a few more items and be out the door for under $100.00. So I get there and the kit which includes a batch was $104.00....ok, this saves a few bucks on the batch which I planned on buying anyway. What good is a beer kit without something to brew? So I got a Brewers Best Oatmeal Stout with the kit, along with hydrometer, 2 buckets, hose, bottling wand, bottle brush, small tub of sanitizer, case of bottles and a couple more odds and ends I may have forgot. I decided to upgrade to the automatic siphon, a thief, grabbed a carboy wedge, spoon, large tub of sanitizer, and another batch (German witbier), a siphon clamp and 3 cases of bottles (at $13.00 @ case, I am going to have to do some scrounging!). The shop is an hour away so I wanted to get everything I needed with one trip. I look over at the counter and wow, there is a lot of stuff stacking up, the guy behind the counter is working the checkout gun and BOOM $270.00!!!!!! Holy Moly!!!!!

Cant wait to start this train rolling!!!!!
:mug:

why buy bottles at that price? I mean you have to clean them anyways... might as well get some with beer in it like SNPA. Also, you should've checked the DIY section or craigslist for paddles, siphons etc. But all said, 300 for everything isn't bad... now it's time for you to start saving money by brewing 2-3 times a month :)

Sounds about right. I bought a starter set-up and two kits and I think I spent about $125, then for my next trip I picked up a thief, an auto-siphon, another bucket, decent thermometer, no-rinse sanitizer and some ingredients for my next brew, all of which rang up at another $120 or so. So you see, you saved yourself a trip!

I kinda went nuts on my first trip to the LHBS too. I went in just wanting a starter kit and walked out $600 later with a 15 gallon kettle and big wort chiller, Camp Chef propane burner, couple of ingredient kits and their "deluxe" starter equipment kit with a few items swapped out for better stuff.

On the bright side, my wife was with me so I didn't have any 'splainin to do when I got home.

Spent 160 on my kit which includes first batch. then had to spend another 60 on the 30qt pot which came with a propane burner. Figured swmbo would like the idea of brewing outside rather than on the stove.

Wow, $39 bucks for empty beer bottles. I would think for a few more dollars you could buy beer 2 cases with beer in the bottles :) My LHBS used to sell recycled empty bottles for .10 a piece, but they did away with that to make room for other stuff.

Good luck on your brews and welcome to the hobby.

Thanks everyone! I cant wait to start brewing.....and drinking!
I will be saving all my commercial beer bottles that I drink from now on! And, will be hitting up my drunk friends to save their bottles....only problem with that is, most of them drink twisties ..... yuk !!!

Back