Secondary fermentation stopped after only 3 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaneb_2000

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm brewing my first batch of homemade beer, I choice to use a Mexican Cerveza premade kit from the brew house. I started secondary fermentation in a glass carboy after 5 days in the primary. At first the airlock seemed to be bubbling every 2 minutes but after only 3 days it seems to of stopped. I kept an eye on it for around 10 minutes without seeing anything, I don't notice any bubbles coming up though the beer either. It doesn't seem right that the fermentation would be finished so soon, or is there any other factors that might cause it to stop? I've been brewing it on my kitchen counter with a towel wrapped around it to keep the sun out. Could it's temperture be too high? Is there a way to get the fermentation started again?

Thanks a millon
shane.

Get a hydrometer & check the gravity. There is no other way to know if the fermentation is done.

By the way, the secondary is for clearing, not fermentation.

Begineer question...How do you tell when the fermentation is done using a hydrometer. I have a reading at the original gravity and after the primary was done.

Thanks.

When the reading you take stays the same for 2-3 days and the Gravity has fallen by 70-80% then you can be confident that its finished.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried anything from the brew house brand kits? What were you experiences with them? Do they usally turn out good?

I haven't tried one of those yet. I've tried a few Coopers and Munsons kits and they were easy and made really good beer. The kit in a can kits are kind of hard to mess up if you just follow the instructions.

Mutilated whats your Santa's Dilema your brewing, it sounds intriging? I want to make something next that will knock me on my ass after having a couple.

shaneb_2000 said:
Mutilated whats your Santa's Dilema your brewing, it sounds intriging? I want to make something next that will knock me on my ass after having a couple.

Its a recipe I found online here:

http://www.cascadiabrew.com/recipe_database.asp?RecipeID=25

Santa's Dilemma Ale
by Mark Bittler and Mark Henry
Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.060 (15)
Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.015 (3.75)
IBUs 42
% Alc./Wt. (Alc./V.) 4.7 (6)
Color SRM (EBC) 19.49 (50.4)

Description
A Holiday ale that is not overbearing on the spices.
Quantity [Metric] Ingredient Comment
6.6 lb(s) [3 kg(s)] Coopers Light Malt extract
1 lb(s) [0.5 kg(s)] light dry malt extract
1 lb(s) [0.5 kg(s)] clover honey
0.5 lb(s) [0.2 kg(s)] crystal malt - 60°L
2 oz [56.7 g] Chocolate malt
2 oz [56.7 g] Cascade leaf hops (30 min)
1 pkg 4 inch cinnamon stick (10 min)
0.5 oz [14.2 g] dried ginger root (10 min)
1 oz [28.3 g] curacao orange peel (10 min)
1 oz [28.3 g] Ultra leaf hops (2 min)
1 pkg White Labs British
0.75 cup(s) [177.4 ml] corn sugar priming

Instruction

1) Steep crystal and chocolate malts in 150-180° F brewing water for 15-20 minutes, then remove.
2) Mix in malt extract syrup and dry malt. Bring to boil.
3) After hot break add Cascade hops and boil 30 minutes. Top up water periodically if necessary.
4) With 10 minutes remaining in boil add cinnamon, ginger, orange peel and honey.
5) With 2 minutes remaining in boil add Ultra hops.
6) After boil cool contents of pot to cool to lukewarm (80-100°F), add to carboy and top up to 5 gallons. Add yeast, attach blowoff hose or airlock. Allow to ferment.

I'm actually planning to brew this Sept 1, bottle it maybe around mid October and then set it aside for the Holiday Season.

I've had a Santa's Dilema before, but I've never tried this recipe.

Back