elp with cloning Uinta Brewery's Four+ Wyld Extra Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcpup

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi -

I have really grown to love APA's. I was a long courtship, but I'm now truly in love. Bordering on obsession.

I travel to Salt Lake City frequently for work. I am just crazy about Wyld Extra Pale Ale. It's a session strength (4%) beer, lovely color, and pleasantly hoppy (IBU of 29).

Help! I've written the brewery...no luck.

I brewed Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde and dry hopped with Cascade to see if that was close...it was good, but not close. Color is lighter, not hoppy enough even with dry hopping, and not as much malt coming through. Here's that recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/#post420400

Below is a link to the brewery's description of the beer. Lovely hop aroma, nice bitterness, clean finish, malt balanced and detectable. My v.1 keg is 1/2 gone(Centennial Blonde with dry hopping), so I need to start working on v.2.
Any thoughts on a second try at getting closer to this one?

http://www.uintabrewing.com/FourBeersView.aspx?Page=WYLD

According to the brewery, ABV is 4%, SRM is 9, and IBU is 29.

They distribute to a number of states. If you like APA's, give this one a try. It is a lovely session beer with so much flavor.

The Centennial Blonde was the first APA I've brewed. I'm not schooled on what to tweak...Thanks for any thoughts.

I've made a couple hoppy, low gravity pale ales that I've reeally enjoyed (haven't tried that one yet though). There aren't a huge number of Organic malts available, so that narrows down what they use: http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Organics.htm

You could certainly up the bitterness of the Blonde to 30 and swap out the C10 for C60 to get a bit more color and a deeper caramel flavor. You could also up the Vienna, or swap it for Munihc if you want more toasty/bready malt flavor.

How much Cascade did you add for the dry hop? If it was less than 2 oz I would up it. I also think an ounce or two of hops at the end of the boil would be a nice addition as well to boost the aromatics.

Hope that sends you in the right direction.

Oldsock -

Thank you so much for the ideas...just what I was looking for. I had not considered the organic angle and how that would affect where they'd source ingredients. I haven't cared about the organic part, just the flavor. It is a good way to isolate options, though.

I used 1 oz Cascade for dry hop. I can up that easy.

I was thinking about doing the Munich swap, so your suggestion confirms that's worth a try.

I appreciate the suggestion of a flameout addition - it is worth a try.

Thanks again - this will help me work on v2.0!

Let me know how it turns out, when I do these I tend to kill it with hops (the last one had 2 oz each of Citra and Chinook at 0 and dry hop).

Will do, Old Sock! It will be a bit, because I'm brewing a Wit next...my buddy wanted some for his upcoming birthday party.

I'll post back once I've settled on recipe/hop schedule, and again after kegging.

kcpup,

Did you ever find a recipe that was close for the Wyld? I'm trying to find something close myself and was wondering how your experimentation went? It's a great brew.

Thanks,
jonesallu

jonesallu said:
kcpup,

Did you ever find a recipe that was close for the Wyld? I'm trying to find something close myself and was wondering how your experimentation went? It's a great brew.

Thanks,
jonesallu

Hi, Jonesallu.
I have been through a number of iterations and I got some good info about grain bill and hops. I'm on a business trip but when I return I'll share my progress. More to come.

Hi, Jonesallu.
I have been through a number of iterations and I got some good info about grain bill and hops. I'm on a business trip but when I return I'll share my progress. More to come.

Here are my iterations.
1. Brewed Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde and upped IBUs to around 29 (like Wyld). I knew this wouldn't be a clone, but thought I'd use that grain bill as a jumping off point. Decent beer, not Wyld.
2. Brewed similar grain bill with all Cascade. Decent beer, not Wyld.
3. Felt stuck. Went to homebrew store in SLC. He didn't know Wyld info, but called someone he knew at Uinta. I got this information:
Grain
American 2 row
Crystal 15L
Dextrine malt
Hops
bittering - Cascade
flavor,aroma - Simcoe

He had run out of American 2 row earlier in the day (crazy huh?). :) Anyway, I bought and brewed the following:
10 lb American Pale Ale malt
1 lb Dextrine malt
.25 lb Crystal 15L

I knew the following - it wouldn't make the SRM number on Uinta's website (SRM 9). That's what he had at the store, and I'd rather be a bit light than too carmely. Brewed that - hops sooo much closer. Did most of IBUs with Cascade. Closer, tasty, still not Wyld.

4. Before I had gotten that info from the SLC brewstore, I had already purchased another grain bill based on advice from this thread. Old Sock had made some recommendations. Tonight I brewed that grain bill and the following hops schedule:
4.5 lb Organic American 2 row
12 oz Dextrine malt
2 lb Munich
10 oz Crystal 60L

.5 oz 5.4% Cascade @60
.5 oz 11.9% Simcoe @20
Will dry hop with 2 oz Simcoe

That's around 24 IBU, with around half coming from each hop varietal. Last time most went with Cascade. SRM shows around 8.

For all iterations I've used Pacman yeast from Wyeast, not grown from dregs. The first two iterations were in low-mid 60's, 3rd iteration was high 60's and peaked around 70 [basement temps]. I'm going to try to keep the temp in mid 60's if possible.

So, there's my Wyld adventure so far. I'll let you know how #4 turns out.

I have another grain bill on tap but won't brew that until #4 batch runs out.

Summary:
Haven't teased out proper grain bill, but the Cascade-Simcoe combo is Wyld-like.

Cheers

Thank you very much for posting. I'll ponder your post and will likely have some questions for you.

Thank you for your previous post. Can you please post anything you learned on your 4th iteration?

Now for my questions. My apologies for some of these being too basic, but I've been away from brewing for a couple of decades and starting to get back into it again. I hope the beer gods don't rust my kettles...

I'm assuming the "@60" and "@20" are the times in the boil, correct?

I'm also assuming the numbers after you mention the Pacman from Wyeast are fermentation temps, correct?

Do you batch sparge or continuous sparge? Do you dry hop with pellets, plugs or leaf? I know these might be debatable but I'm interested in what has worked for you (I'm getting too old to experiment).

I think all the rest makes sense. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge.

Thanks for getting this info out on Wyld, it is my favorite "on tap" beer that we have in this crazy state. I was guessing a ton of late hops and it looks like that is what they do. If only I had a bunch of Simcoe hops...I'll have to see what I can find. Thanks again!!! Cheers!

Hi, jonesallu -

I'll try to answer your questions in line.

I'm assuming the "@60" and "@20" are the times in the boil, correct? YES

I'm also assuming the numbers after you mention the Pacman from Wyeast are fermentation temps, correct? YES

Do you batch sparge or continuous sparge? Do you dry hop with pellets, plugs or leaf? I know these might be debatable but I'm interested in what has worked for you (I'm getting too old to experiment). BATCH Sparge, PELLETS for all hop additions

A bit about my brewing process; I do BIAB via Deathbrewer's method on this forum. Look in the All Grain and Partial Mash section and I'm pretty sure it has a sticky note under "Stovetop All Grain Brewing." That employs a dunk sparge which is a batch-type sparge.

Ok, now to feedback on 4th iteration. The hops profile is super close. I'm happy with that. I have MORE hop aroma from my brew than Wyld. I'm guessing that is due to fresher product, and that I may be dry hopping more aggressively than they. I like it, though and think I'll stick with this hop schedule into my next iterations.

Color in every iteration from #2 on is fine.

My chief complaint with all my iterations is a lack of maltiness. Every brew, especially the last two, have been good. There's just some malt character missing when compared to Wyld. One of the things I like best is that it is nice and hoppy but you can really get the malt right up there too. So far, my attempts have not been as malt forward as Wyld.

I think this current keg will kick over Thanksgiving weekend. :) So, I'll be brewing this grain bill next:

7 lb US 2-row
1 lb CaraPils
1.5 lb Crystal 20

Use same hop schedule.

I may try a different yeast. Perhaps a maltier English type yeast like White Labs WLP002. I plan to do some more research, but 002 or 013 might be an option. What I want is for more malt character to come through.

In summary, I'm making beer that is a tasty session APA. I'm at least 80% there to clone, maybe closer. Color = fine, Hops = super close, malt profile: needs work.

If you haven't started brewing again yet, go ahead a brew the #4 malt bill and do the hopping as mentioned. It's not totally Wyld, but it is getting there.

Cheers.

Thanks for getting this info out on Wyld, it is my favorite "on tap" beer that we have in this crazy state. I was guessing a ton of late hops and it looks like that is what they do. If only I had a bunch of Simcoe hops...I'll have to see what I can find. Thanks again!!! Cheers!

Thanks, Bighand.

Where can you get this on tap? I'm having trouble finding it draft. I've had it at BeerHive and Piper Down.

Where else?

I've had this on tap several times in Washington DC. Unfortunately you can't get it in Maryland where I live. It is an amazing beer that I haven't been able to come by....This beer alone has gotten me into homebrew. If anyone has been able to get the result of Wyld, I'd love to hear their final recipe. Understand that I am new to this though so any extra detail is welcome!

I've had this on tap several times in Washington DC. Unfortunately you can't get it in Maryland where I live. It is an amazing beer that I haven't been able to come by....This beer alone has gotten me into homebrew. If anyone has been able to get the result of Wyld, I'd love to hear their final recipe. Understand that I am new to this though so any extra detail is welcome!

bhensley88 -

Go to post #8 on this thread - brew iteration #4 and you will be close. The recipe I've posted is all grain, but this one could be modified for an extract brewer.

Your local homebrew store can help you out, or if you need some help let me know.

The KEY to this recipe is the Simcoe hops for most of the bittering and also for dry hopping.

Cheers

I'm just about to try No. 4 but have had a heck of a time finding Simcoe hops. I did convert your grain bill to extract. I'll let you know how it turns out if the hops ever arrive. Thanks for all your help.

jonesallu said:
I'm just about to try No. 4 but have had a heck of a time finding Simcoe hops. I did convert your grain bill to extract. I'll let you know how it turns out if the hops ever arrive. Thanks for all your help.

No problem, happy to share information!

Yep, the Simcoe situation will improve early next year when the homebrew stores begin getting in the 2011 harvest in stock. Pelletized hops for a season typically arrive early the following year.

Because if this addictive brew, I'm going to buy a few pounds of Simcoe. :) The dry hopping accelerates up the usage rate big time.

Cheers

I travel to Salt Lake City frequently for work. I am just crazy about Wyld Extra Pale Ale. It's a session strength (4%) beer, lovely color, and pleasantly hoppy (IBU of 29).

Help! I've written the brewery...no luck.

hey kcpup- I wasn't able to listen live, but I believe the most recent Jamil Show/Can You Brew It featured Wyld Pale Ale on it last night (1/9/11). They make the show available via podcast about 2+ weeks after the live broadcast, so you should be in luck! Even if it wasn't cloned, I'm sure it'll be darn close

hey kcpup- I wasn't able to listen live, but I believe the most recent Jamil Show/Can You Brew It featured Wyld Pale Ale on it last night (1/9/11). They make the show available via podcast about 2+ weeks after the live broadcast, so you should be in luck! Even if it wasn't cloned, I'm sure it'll be darn close

OH MY GOSH!

I wrote Jamil about featuring this many months ago! (He had complimented this beer in Zymurgy about a year ago. He said it was "sublime.") I was shocked that within a few hours Jamil had written me back - they must get a zillion emails, etc. I'm glad I wasn't alone and there were enough people interested that Wyld got on the show. I'm thrilled!

Woooo Hooooo! Thanks - I'm soooo happy. I never get to listen live, either. Many thanks for the info. 2012 is starting off right!

Back