Northern California trip suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoedBrew

Reaction score
At the end of August beginning of September I am taking a trip to California for the first time. I will be flying into San Fran and Staying with a friend in Sacramento.
I am looking for Places to go and things to do? Obviously my friend will have some suggestions, but I want to hear what you all have to say?

I know I will visit Russian River and probably Heretic because I am a fan of Jamil's work on the Brewing Network.

What other suggestions do you guys/gals have??
Not Just beer, but also wine and sight seeing? My wife and I enjoy good wine and will probably hit a couple vineyards.

I have never been to California, so I was thinking of seeing San Fran, and possibly spending an "Outdoors day" either in the Redwoods or at Yosemite?

Thoughts?

I'm hitting up a similar trip in June, staying in Napa with my brother. So far he has suggested Russian River as well but also mentioned North Coast in Fort Bragg and Calistoga Inn brewpub and Anderson Valley Brewery. Would love to learn of any more good ones in the area I could hit up during that trip.

Both you guys need to hit up Bear Republic in Healdsburg and Lagunitas in Petaluma. Do the tour at Lagunitas they hook it up on the tastings. You guys both mentioned Russian River. That is a must!

Russian river is a must. 21st also. Sierra Nevada in Chico, Anderson brewing. Gordon birsch in San Jose. Prymid in down town sac. Brew it up in sac. Alley kat has over 200 brews but no brewing.

Toronado is probably one of the coolest beer bars I've been to.. they've got stuff on tap that was brewed just for them and bottles of stuff that I've never heard of.

And don't call it "San Fran".. nobody calls it that except tourists. San Francisco or "the city" - not Frisco or San Fran.
Have fun on your trip, I haven't made it up to Russian River yet - need to make a drive up there soon.

I'm on staff as an improv comedian at a comedy club in Sac. Free tickets for you +1 if you are in town and able to enjoy a show on a Friday, or Saturday night. We don't offer liquor/beer, but you'll laugh your @$$ off guaranteed. Seriously, Northern CA will overwhelm you with all the breweries and things that you can possibly do. So much, so little time. The weather that time of year will be nice and hot too.

These are all great suggestions, I keep looking them up and getting excited as I think about it.

@Gregger I will take you up on that if the offer is still valid labor day weekend :)

These are all great suggestions, I keep looking them up and getting excited as I think about it.

@Gregger I will take you up on that if the offer is still valid labor day weekend :)

I'm sure I'll be here. As long as it doesn't sell out and I have comps to give you, absolutely.

I live in the heart of sonoma county. Work a few miles from RRBC, if you go there, have a few, walk over to 3rd street ale works. They dont have the greatest beers, but its a nice change of pace. When you go to Lagunitas, either plan on the tour, or just sit outside their lounge and partake in their brews. Some they have on tap THEY DONT BOTTLE... They sell food, but stopping off at Dempseys in Petaluma is cool, on the dirty river, lots of little shops, all walking distance. As for Anderson Valley, its a drive from Sac, but if your in the mood to drive, thats cool.

As for some outdoors, you must take the trip up HWY 50 to Lake Tahoe, its only about 1.5 hours from Sac and will have the most spectacular views. That is a must, did I say must, its a must. Sac is about 50 or so feet above sea level, Over the Mtn to Tahoe valley is at 7000+ above sea level, the drive alone is fabulous. Once you leave elderado, open your windows and enjoy the smell of the pine trees, its a memory place holder for me every time I go there, about twice a year...and you must stop at Placerville brewing, if you like stouts...YOU MUST HAVE THEIR Vanilla Burbon stout... That is the best beer, I love stouts, and each time I get their 1/2 gallon growler... Mmmmmmmm!!!!

Your going to get tons of recommendations, your going to be near the pinnacle of wineries, NAPA county and Sonoma have literally hundreds, some good, some great and some your going to want more of... Good luck, and have fun.

Latest posts

Back