Punk Rock and Hardcore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a thread specifically designed for punk and hardcore. Discuss your favorite bands within these genres here. By punk I don't mean MxPx, Blink 182 or Good Charlotte. Let's keep it more along the lines of real punk/hardcore bands including, but not limited to The Ramones, The Clash, Sex Pistols, UK Subs, US Bombs, GBH, Pennywise, Good Riddance, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Comeback Kid, Have Heart, The Unseen, Casualties, Strife, Straight Faced, Avail, H2O, Cancer Bats, xLooking Forwardx, etc.

BTW, I searched the forum and found no thread of this kind. If I just missed it I apologize in advance.

Update: We're getting the occasional ska and thrash metal band brought up in discussion. While that's not what this thread was designed for we won't kick you out if you'd like to talk about ska or thrash metal.

the%20fems-thumb-365x503-5049.jpg

this thread made me look up the Continental, Buffalo's punk club that closed a few years ago... http://www.buffalorising.com/2009/08/continental-memories-i-am-officially-an-old-fogey.html

Oh yeah, since my teens. I've been listening to a lot of Warzone lately. It's a shame about Ray and their collapse.
I'll give my top five favorite records:
5) Minor Threat: Out of Step
4) Pennywise: Full Circle
3) Lawrence Arms: Greatest Story Ever Told
2) Nofx: Punk in Drublic
1) Bad Religion: Suffer

I listened to Screeching Weasel, Descendants, Bad Religion and Choking Victim while I was brewing my CDA the other day...

So there.

59X The Pain
Agnostic Front
Anti Flag
Bad Religion
Blood for Blood
Bombshell Rocks
Descendents
The Deviates
Dropkick Murphys
Hatebreed
Misfits
New York Dolls
No Use for A Name
Offspring
Oxymoron
Pennywise
Rancid
Rise Against
Sham69
The Business
The Stooges
Stiff Little Fingers
Social Distortion
The Living End
Ramones
Vision

wow...... others that listen to good stuff!

i grew up listening to NYHC and english punk/oi

still listen to that and much more!

I was really into classic rock right around 1988. It was my first real move into independent musical choices other than what my parents listened to. The previous summer I had been turned on to Zepplin and The Who. The winter of 88' my buddy's older buddy moved back home from virginia. Walked into his room one day and he was playing something I never heard before. Turned out to be Suffer - Bad Religion. My conversion was on. I have a wide and varied range of the music I listen to, but I have never strayed far from what is at my core.

Bad Religion, Misfits, NoFX, Social D., I love me some punk. Not a big fan of what the kids nowadays call punk.

Haven't seen the misfit's ever. Obviously never seen Danzig misfits. My band used to play some misfits, Eagles Dare/horror business/Astro Zombies. I always loved when we played those.

Edit - I just remembered I had heard that Bad Religion recently posted their entire discography online somewhere. Have to find that link. Anyone know where they posted it?

Nice thread. I saw Descendents (first show in ~9 years), The Vandals, Casualties, The Dwarves, Bad Religion, The Bronx, and others in 2 days a couple weeks back here in Austin. It was insane. :D

I'd been waiting 20 years to see the Descendents. Spent the entire show in the pit.

I saw NOFX open for Bad Religion at Reseda Country Club when they were a 3-piece.

But the real excitement is that the Pogues are coming back for yet another NYC tour on St. Pat's week! Don't know if I'll make this one. I feel guilty about missing though since I haven't missed a single NYC tour since they started doing them again 5 years ago.

Anyone listen to NoMeansNo? Awesome, dark punk rock. They have a spin-off group, the Hanson Brothers... punk rock and hockey. Also, on the flip side of the Hanson Brothers' "It's a Living" disc, there's a video... Johnny Hanson's guide to all-grain homebrewing. They've got songs such as "We're Brewin'", and other hockey/Ramones classics.
Other than that... I got into punk/hardcore in the late 80s, living in the middle of nowhere, as a high school kid. Grew up around bands such as the Minutemen, Fugazi, Husker Du, etc. I learned guitar to that music. Brewing and punk rock are two of my favorite things.

The Cramps
The Meatmen - We're the Meatmen and you suck - love this album
Circle Jerks
Bad Brains
Flipper
Black Flag
and of course the Dead Kennedy's!!

I still have my albums for all of these plus a bunch of those already mentioned.

Even Good Charlotte and MxPx had 1 good album each before going emo (youtube "mxpx Pokinatcha" if you want to see what I mean), but I get what you're saying. I remember watching all the emo rockers walking around warped tour, thinking they were hardcore, while I was waiting for NoFX to play.

Just realized I do have one to add to the list.

Propagandhi!

edit*
And how could we forget Operation Ivy?

I haven't seen anyone mention of PiL yet. I have to admit I have a soft spot for both of Rotten's bands. I also like most of the Misfits and the Ramones stuff. Do the Dead Milkmen count? I get the definitions fuzzy sometimes. I LOVE "Beach Part Vietnam." As far as the Clash, I think they're a mixed bag. Any Husker Du love out there? Their "Sunshine Superman" cover was awesome.

I grew up with the boys from Good Charlotte.

You shoulda seen them playing in their backyard covering Rage Against the Machine.

Such nice little boys.

Anyone listen to NoMeansNo? Awesome, dark punk rock. They have a spin-off group, the Hanson Brothers... punk rock and hockey. Also, on the flip side of the Hanson Brothers' "It's a Living" disc, there's a video... Johnny Hanson's guide to all-grain homebrewing. They've got songs such as "We're Brewin'", and other hockey/Ramones classics.
Other than that... I got into punk/hardcore in the late 80s, living in the middle of nowhere, as a high school kid. Grew up around bands such as the Minutemen, Fugazi, Husker Du, etc. I learned guitar to that music. Brewing and punk rock are two of my favorite things.

Hey You! Let's Brew!!!

I saw the Hanson Brothers open a show at Bogarts in Long Beach way back when. My friend and I wore hockey jerseys and were the only ones up front during the set. Everybody else was there to see the headlining band (I can't remember who it was now, possibly Helmet) and was looking at us like we were insane. Ramones songs with hockey lyrics, there is not much better.

I also remember $5 Fugazi shows at the Hollywood Palladium. Which brings up a show that I'll never forget because of its craziness, Dramarama at the Palladium. The circle pit was the ENTIRE dance floor.

It's hard to believe that I made it to 39 years old. And I still stage dive!

I only ever liked the Ramones, but too me they were not real punk, but then again not listening to any others it is hard to compare. To me they had the physical image of punk but there songs were actually more like Beatle songs in their composition.

Nice thread. I saw Descendents (first show in ~9 years), The Vandals, Casualties, The Dwarves, Bad Religion, The Bronx, and others in 2 days a couple weeks back here in Austin. It was insane. :D

I'd been waiting 20 years to see the Descendents. Spent the entire show in the pit.

Now thats why I like Austin!

I saw The Dwarves i would have to say 12 or 13 years ago in houston.

Listening to punk rock & ska since I was in middle school in the 1980s. Still listen to lots of the older hardcore/punk, but here are a few more recent bands that I've been listening to a lot lately.

-Riverboat Gamblers -- if you have never heard them before, start off with To The Confusion of Our Enemies--their newer album is much different.

-Dead to Me -- Line up has changed a lot in the past year or so, but still very good. Skip the first song on African Elephants.

-American Steel - Great comeback after being gone for so many years (even though they were still playing together as a different band). Listen to Jagged Thoughts (2001) and Destroy Their Future (2007).

-Off With Their Heads - I like their older stuff better, but their new album is great.

-Dear Landlord - with people from Copyrights & Rivethead.

Too much other stuff to list...

Some of my favorite shows:

Bad Brains - in Chicago when they were touring for Quickness in 1989 or 1990.

Citizen Fish at a small club in Albany, NY in the early 90s.

Brain Failure in Boston a few years ago.

Riverboat Gamblers in Boston a few years ago when they were on the a tour with other Volcom bands (didn't like the other bands at all)

Bouncing Souls, Lifetime, & the Ergs in Boston- amazing to see all these NJ bands play together a few years ago.

Lawrence Arms, American Steel, & the Falcon in Boston a few years ago.

The Cramps
The Meatmen - We're the Meatmen and you suck - love this album
Circle Jerks
Bad Brains
Flipper
Black Flag
and of course the Dead Kennedy's!!

I still have my albums for all of these plus a bunch of those already mentioned.

21 posts to get to bad brains?!?!? and you guys call yourselves hardcore?

Man, oh man. There's so much great stuff in here...

To add a few personal favorites, there's the Vandals, TSOL, Meat Puppets, and Warlock Pinchers.

What's amazing to me is how many punk/hardcore bands are still out there, plugging away.

Punk Rock will always be my first true love. lately I've been listening to more of the Ska/rock steady side of the spectrum but on my drive up north for thanksgiving I was listening to rancid, leftover crack, the distillers (I go through a torrid love affair with Brody about once or twice a year), Joey Ramone, NOFX, and some Bad Religion.

Punk Rock changed my life.

Back