Style over substance?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiery Sword

Reaction score
Back when I used to be hombrew-assistant to my dad I was always into doing labels that perhaps (at the time!) exceede the quality of the beer. It was a great was to 'class it up' and make the product seem better than is was! Back then, my dad used to go by Paul of Revere (yes, his name is paul, yes, he is from revere).

Years later, upon seriously revisiting homebrewing, I have always retained a desire to nicely present the beer (at least when i'm giving it away - people seem to appreciate the extra effort). The beer itself has come a long way in the last 5 years though so I can no longer say it is out-classed by the labels!

This is a label I used years back - it is an aerial image of Revere Beach. Mostly bottles 12oz. w/ caps at the time. Standard no-frills paper computer lables. Still was cool. I didn't get many of them back! I also started going by the West Revere Brewery name.....perhaps I haven't ditched the 'make yourself sound bigger than you are' problem!!!
oldbottleew1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

More recently, I got the idea to try to paint just the name on some liter flipper bottles (my current standard when not kegging). After some internet searching, I decided it would be cool to try an acid etching process around a stencil of the "West Revere Brewery" text. I printed the text on some mylar and spend the better part of a Saturday cutting it out by hand with an Xacto. I used temporary glue to stick the stencil to the bottle, applied the etching chemicals, pulled off the stencil and here goes:

Kind of tough to photograph but then ended up looking really professional and, best of all, they are permanently labeled! I refined the process and have about 3 cases of labeled liters, I try to get them back at all costs!!!

I usually put a paper tag on the liter bottle neck with the beer name and type. I have this thing where all beer are named after Neil Young songs. Kind of silly, but I a big fan.....and there are hundreds and hundreds of names to chose from. I am currently drinking Heart of Gold IV (a honey wheat beer, my partial mash recipe) and Expecting To Fly II (my brother's creation, a smoked porter, partial mash also.)

The clincher happened when I was supposed to be making a model late one night at work (work in architecture) and instead I made a cutout for a 4 liter-bottle carrier. Sketched on the logo, and BAM - instant homebrew 4 pack!!!!

That's a really cool idea. Looks nice!

Oh, and the brews that I've named have been after Tom Waits lyrics... hell, I was half-toying with naming the brewery "RainGrogs".

Back