Day 3, Fermenter Activity Stops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron1983

Reaction score
Ok, so today is day four on my new batch of beer. Yesterday, I noticed that there was no activity on my airlock, so I took a gravity reading of 1.022. Today, same thing, but this time the gravity reading was 1.012. My OG was 1.070...yeah that is what I said when BeerSmith told me that it's already at 7.52% ABV. I know I am taking my readings correctly, but my question is, should I wait for the gravity to level out for a few days before transfering to secondary? Or should I do that now since the activity in the airlock has ceased?

Always wait 10 days before checking your gravity. I've started this practice and haven't been disappointed since.

Leave it for at least a week and more if you can. You won't hurt anything by just letting the yeast do their cleanup. How much extract do you have in this batch?

I've been going seven days in the primary and then checking the Gravity. I usually check the gravity right before I rack it and then check the gravity before I bottle as well. Those are the only times I check my gravity during fermentation.

You should check your gravity after at least a week if not longer. The idea is to get 3 consecutive readings letting you know that the fermetation is stopped. Do not use the airlock as a measurement for fermetation. You're fermentation should be complete BEFORE racking to secondary. The idea of a secondary is for clearing, not fermenting.

I quit using a secondary altogether, and haven't looked back.

My beer stays in the primary carboy for a minimum of three weeks, and then I keg.

My beer has never been clearer, or tasted better.

I save a ton of time and hassle by skipping the secondary. Reputable homebrewers like Jamil Z. recommend the same thing.

After this batch in my secondary I may ditch the secondary as well. Frees up another primary. I'll probably still use it for dry hopping or fruit additions. Special Cases.

Wow, what kind of yeast/malt are you using... is it common for beer to reach that level of alcohol in just three days? If you want to confirm your suspicions about the true alcohol level you could always taste a little bit. Also maybe your airlock is not 100% airtight and the gas is escaping without you knowing it?

Ive always just let the primary fermentation go for 10 days no matter what it is or longer if it specifies. Then just keg it or rack it to a secondary to help clear it up.

Back