Good recipe to start out with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcg1230

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the whole process of homebrewing. I made one batch of IPA that I never got to see to completion (it was lost in a pretty nasty car accident), so I've gone through the boiling stage as well as done a little bit of fermentation monitoring (it was still in the primary though).

I'm looking for another good recipe to start out with. I wanted to try and do a wheat beer with an orange-y flavor, similar to a UFO white or Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat, but I'm wondering if this is a little to advanced.

Do any experienced brewer's have any input?

Thanks!

Do you brew extract or all-grain? I have a pretty good extract Saison recipe that sounds very close to what you are looking for. It has lots of wheat malt, and some orange peel. If you are comfortable with extract + steeping grains I can post it for you.

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the whole process of homebrewing. I made one batch of IPA that I never got to see to completion (it was lost in a pretty nasty car accident), so I've gone through the boiling stage as well as done a little bit of fermentation monitoring (it was still in the primary though).

I'm looking for another good recipe to start out with. I wanted to try and do a wheat beer with an orange-y flavor, similar to a UFO white or Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat, but I'm wondering if this is a little to advanced.

Do any experienced brewer's have any input?

Thanks!

Isn't Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat blueberry flavored? I'm not a fruit beer guy, but I thought it was. I found a quick google that Austin Homebrew sells a extract clone kit of that beer. Maybe give that a shot.

My IPA was done with extract and I steeped the grains at around 170 degrees F (basically just followed the instructions in the ingredient kit)

Oh and DonMagee, Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat is kind of a blueberry beer and I was probably thinking of the coriander flavor which is in it

Definitely get another kit. A wheat beer would be a great starting point - medium gravity, nothing crazy, and will taste good without any real aging. If you could follow the directions to add the hops at the right time, you'll have no trouble tossing in some orange peel or coriander in a similar fashion.

Thanks! When is the best time to add the orange peel and coriander? I have both a primary and secondary fermenter

Most wit recipes will have you adding them in the last 5-10 minutes of the boil.

Agree with Bill above, the kits will tell you to use a primary and a secondary which is a waste of time and energy, just extend the primary out.

Wow that's very surprising. I've been reading a lot online on how two-stage fermentation was better for the wort

I'm fairly new as well and all the reading/podcast listening I've done has concluded that secondary should only be used for dry hopping/spicing/fruits/making room for more.

Ipa for sure. Sorry to hear about car accident hope everybody is ok. When i add fresh lemon zest i go whole 60 minutes but i dont add too much small lemon then cheese grate around sides withouth pith like people here told me so it was basicly a pinch. Before bottle i tasted and its dead on. I eyeball a lot so....its kinda difficult.

Back