Substitute for Caramel 30L?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrVagabond

Reaction score
I was planning on brewing a beer that calls for 1 lbs 8.0 oz of Caramel Malt - 30L (Briess). However, my LHBS doesn't carry any. Would an equal amount of Caramel 20L and 40L be a decent substitution?

Unfortunately, that doesn't quite work, but you will be completely fine just using C20 or C40. I may be wrong, but I can't remember ever seeing anyone who sells C30...

Mixing the two in equal amounts is as good as any other solution, but I would probably just go with either 20L or 40L, the difference is not that great in color or flavor. Don't sweat it, your beer will never be the same twice anyway (well, for most of us without automated or computer controlled brew and fermentation rigs...and even then).

I personally like the effects of more/darker crystal malt, so it would be 40L (or more likely 80L) for me.

It will be delicious....and you can use the other one next time.

Crystal 40 will be just fine....now worries, like the poster above, i LOVE darker crystal malts in smaller amounts...........C80, C120, C150 and my personal favorite..special B.

I happened to find some at Rebel Brewer online, but couldn't find it anywhere else. Even the guy from my LHBS didn't really know if they could get any, but checked with his distributor and realized he can order it too.

I'll probably just end up going with the 40L. A bit of a darker color won't throw things off that much. Thanks for the tips!

you will be fine with the 40L i have seen a recipe with issues finding 50L and the 40 60 mix was recommended multiple times maybe a BM recipe?

Back