The Mash House; Fayetteville, NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Raleigh and drink their brews at The Twisted Fork. My favorite is the Mash House IPA. As of yet, I have not done a brewery tour.

Good beer, kinda pricey on the food, but it is good as well. Also check out Huske Hardware (downtown) and Aviator Brewery Taphouse in Fuquay. And of course there is always the Carolina Ale House, also in Fayetteville.

What's up local Fayette-Nam!!!
Ya, I love Huske's German Blonde right now.
Mash House's Hefeweisen is too die for (in my opinion)

You both been to Bob's Wine Shoppe? or Grapes & Hops?

Called grapes and hops and when I asked the girl what kind of liquid yeast they carried, she told me yeast did not come in a liquid form. Never made the trip there...couldn't find a reason after that.

...I asked the girl what kind of liquid yeast they carried, she told me yeast did not come in a liquid form. Never made the trip there...couldn't find a reason after that.

LMAO :D

Dude...I can't stop laughing.

Called grapes and hops and when I asked the girl what kind of liquid yeast they carried, she told me yeast did not come in a liquid form. Never made the trip there...couldn't find a reason after that.

The only thing I go to Grapes & Hops for are 6-pack carriers, 1 Step Sani, and Bottles.... the staff is quite dumb but they have some nice imports.

Bob's Wine Shoppe and Grapes & Hops are on opposite sides of town but both have some what of a nice single bottle import selection. Bob's has more though

I'll have to check them out. I've been doing my beer shopping at Total Wines in Raleigh and Cary. Huge selection.

I'll have to check them out. I've been doing my beer shopping at Total Wines in Raleigh and Cary. Huge selection.

Ya, if you're in Fayett-nam Bob's Wine Shoppe off Raeford Rd. has the best selection of wine & beer. You can by single bottles out of any 6-pack just nothing that is sealed together. They have quite an assortment of wine, SWMBO loves Bob's because they have true european imports. I doubt it would be anything to the scale of a Raleigh shop but worth a stop instead of making an hour commute.

You apart of any brew clubs or groups? I've been hoping for one in the area to spark my inspiration at times.

Did you go to the Blues n Brews festival downtown?

Felt somewhat obligated to post...Nothing but NC brewers in this thread!

Yeah, theres a whole bunch of fellow tar-heels on this board. Met some of them on a recent group grain buy.

Ya, if you're in Fayett-nam Bob's Wine Shoppe off Raeford Rd. has the best selection of wine & beer. You can by single bottles out of any 6-pack just nothing that is sealed together. They have quite an assortment of wine, SWMBO loves Bob's because they have true european imports. I doubt it would be anything to the scale of a Raleigh shop but worth a stop instead of making an hour commute.

You apart of any brew clubs or groups? I've been hoping for one in the area to spark my inspiration at times.

Did you go to the Blues n Brews festival downtown?

I'll definitely check them out. Not a member of any brew clubs, we definitely need one in the general area. I have been invited to the Blues n Brews for the last 3 years, and haven't made it yet. I am planning on this year though.

I was stationed at Bragg 3 times; '73-'74, '79-'80, '97-'99.

The last time we went down there ('08) to visit friends I stopped into Grapes and Hops and even their dry yeast was not in the fridge. Just hanging in a basket.

They do have a great beer selection though.

Yeah, theres a whole bunch of fellow tar-heels on this board. Met some of them on a recent group grain buy.

I'll definitely check them out. Not a member of any brew clubs, we definitely need one in the general area. I have been invited to the Blues n Brews for the last 3 years, and haven't made it yet. I am planning on this year though.

Hate to tell you brother..... Blue n Brews was June 4th

So with all of our North Carolina and Fayette-Nam brewers in the area....

Who wants to get a brew club going!?!?!?!
For real this area is too dull!

I just recently purchased a house, closing this Friday so I will be out of commission for a bit with unpacking/moving/organizing.... you know how that goes.

but this also means I will be looking at Handi-Houses in the near future and me and my electrician are going to go to town on that joker.

So with all of our North Carolina and Fayette-Nam brewers in the area....

Who wants to get a brew club going!?!?!?!
For real this area is too dull!

I just recently purchased a house, closing this Friday so I will be out of commission for a bit with unpacking/moving/organizing.... you know how that goes.

but this also means I will be looking at Handi-Houses in the near future and me and my electrician are going to go to town on that joker.

I'm in. I live in Moore County but I know Fayetteville well.

I live in Hoke County... which has like 100x less to do than Fayetteville and I know another brewer, I believe he is a solder stationed at Bragg who makes the trip to Raleigh for supplies, so he has to be pretty serious.

Ah I wish I had known about brewing while I still lived at Bragg. But I would have had to hide it because at that point I was still living in barracks and could not have more than a 12 pack in my room.

Ah I wish I had known about brewing while I still lived at Bragg. But I would have had to hide it because at that point I was still living in barracks and could not have more than a 12 pack in my room.

Come on brother, I'm a contractor on Bragg, we all know... you may leave Bragg, but you will always come back.

Unless you got out of the army that is......

Come on brother, I'm a contractor on Bragg, we all know... you may leave Bragg, but you will always come back.

Unless you got out of the army that is......

I got out. It was the greatest decision I ever made. After 6 deployments I want nothing to do with going back to any combat zone again.

I was stationed at Bragg from 99-02 and Huske Hardware and Mash House were my first experiences with microbrews. Little did I know then that I would never find a heffeweizen like the one at Mash House, it haunts my dreams today. I remember drinking it straight from the growler in the barracks... oh, to be young and clueless! I often debate taking a weekend trip down fom MD to visit these two breweries again.

I was stationed at Bragg from 99-02 and Huske Hardware and Mash House were my first experiences with microbrews. Little did I know then that I would never find a heffeweizen like the one at Mash House, it haunts my dreams today. I remember drinking it straight from the growler in the barracks... oh, to be young and clueless! I often debate taking a weekend trip down fom MD to visit these two breweries again.

Brother,

I have e-mailed the General Manager who forwarded my e-mail to their brewmaster. I've asked everyone on HomeBrewTalk.com....

They just don't understand; The Mash House's Hefeweisen.... is TO DIE FOR!

I need to know how they do it

Welp Gentleman,
My wife and I attended the Mash House Friday, like we try to almost every Friday, and I had to punish the Hefeweisen again!

It's like pure gold!

Anyone able to take a guess how they get that stronger Orange taste in the brew?

Um, I'm guessing bitter orange peels or extract.

Now does the name say it all when it comes to orange peels;
Sweet orange peels give a sweet taste
Bitter orange peels give a bitter taste?

has anyone used the sweet orange peels from Midwest Supplies? Do they work well?

Never used the ones from midwest, but I've used the bitter orange peels in a belgian wit. They do add a lot of flavor.

When I was stationed at Bragg and would stop in a few times a week for a beer with a buddy to break up the evening. after they remodeled in either 07 or 08, the prices shot up for food significantly.
the beer is awesome, especially the hefe. The IPA and Blonde were also my top choices.
grapes and hops had nice people working there but it seemed like everything i wanted had to be ordered, so i just bought from austin and northernbrewer

bobs was able to order me my favorite warm weather beer, Brooklyner Weisse which was scarce that far from my NYC home

I remember Fayette-Nam the first time back in 1973. Strip Clubs (Rick's Lounge), tattoo parlors, whores all over...then they tore it down to build a Police Station and a hospital. Now RL is on Bragg Blvd...fade to black...cut.

I remember the Huske Hardware being downtown, but where is the Mash House? Is that the one behind Joe's Crab Shack?

We should be coming down sometime this summer to visit some friends...anyone want to get together for a few then?

its right off of morganton/all american on sycamore dairy road.the wingate and extended stay hotel are right next to it. right near joes crab shack

A bit of a thread revival - but -

I live between Fayetteville and Fort Bragg, off to the side of Lillington, out near Johnsonville. Did anyone ever get any further along the ideas of a brew club? Would be very interested.

Sent you a PM.

Now off to get the goods to make my Marzen, and a little experiment with some Lambic Blend, an AG Hefe kit, and an ungodly amount of fruit puree......

Back