brewferm lager vs safebrew anyone with experience that can explain differences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderThePorchBrewing

Reaction score
Posted a similar but less researched question 2 weeks ago so apologize for 2 similar posts. have been looking at dry lager yeast. I have used saflager before with good results. Have my Yuengling lager clone fermenting now at 52 F with this. Have not used brewferm lager yeast yet. I have a packet of each and have 2 lagers I am going to brew over the next few weeks one is a light American the other is an American pilsner not sure which to use with what beer or just pitch one onto the cake from the other and save the second packet.

Norther brewer describes brewferm (Belgian yeast) as A dry lager yeast. Flocculation: high. Attenuation: high. Ferments clean and malty. Optimum temp: 50°-59° F. but this site http://www.onebeer.net/yeaststrains_lager.html says Develops Witbeer aromas like banana and clove. to me these are completely different descriptions and am not sure which is correct. if it does have witbeer like aroma/flavor these are definitely not the beers for this and I will use the saflager. safale US-05 may even be better. One online shop says it is for strong lagers maybe I'll save it for a bock or an irish red lager

Northern brewer describes saflager S-23 as S-23 is a genuine German style dried lager yeast, developing the best of its lager notes under low-temperature fermentation (50-57° F). Good flocculation with excellent attenuation. the catalog describes as "develops fruity and estery lager notes at 50-57 F yet produces very good lager and pilsner at 61-68 F"

can anyone who has used both give an opinion on the characteristics of each or if someone has used the brewferm can you give an opinion? would greatly appreciate it. would rather save the packet and use where appropriate than ruin a whole batch

Ben

I have used the S-23 and I did find it to be fruity at lager fermentation temps, so I gave up using it. I have since started using S-189 and W34/70 dry lager yeast with excellent results at lager fermentation temps.

I would say the Belgin yeast is one that would develop the bannana and clove flavours, although I have never used it.

I have used the S-23 and I did find it to be fruity at lager fermentation temps, so I gave up using it.

Good info. I have not used the W34/70, will order it in next order and try it with the light lager. last summer I did notice the fruity esters with S23 with this beer but thought it was due to fermenting at too high of a temp, 64F. have only done 4 lagers so far, so trying to get a general idea of the yeast characteristics. thanks

Out of curiosity, why are you only sticking to dry yeast? The best lager results I have ever got were from liquid strains, most notably the WLP833 strain.

Out of curiosity, why are you only sticking to dry yeast? The best lager results I have ever got were from liquid strains, most notably the WLP833 strain.

with my schedule I plan on brewing sometime during a week or week and a half but it is variable, I do not know if it will be a wed sat or Sunday or the following wed. Also sometimes I have to change plans at the last minute and push it off a week. dry yeast gives me the flexibility and the ability to brew when times fit and at the spur of the moment. Because of this I don't have the ability or time to do a starter for every brew (maybe I will need to make an occasional exception for the occasional lager) or I could possibly use a smack pack but if i get it going in the morning and have to cancel or delay not sure how long they can be kept. So have mainly switched to dry over the past 6 to 9 months. also have been brewing ales (mainly english) so s-04 and s-05 and Notty and windsor have done well

Back