15 gallon firmentation drum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennethm

Reaction score
I am looking for a cheeper way to get a firmenter large enough for a 10 gallon bacth. I found some 15 gallon plastic drums that contained bleach and detergents. If I cleaned the hell out of it could I make them into firmenters? I don't think they are food grade plastic. =( Any advice would be very appreciated.

I am looking for a cheeper way to get a firmenter large enough for a 10 gallon bacth. I found some 15 gallon plastic drums that contained bleach and detergents. If I cleaned the hell out of it could I make them into firmenters? I don't think they are food grade plastic. =( Any advice would be very appreciated.

sounds like you have 2 good reasons not to use them for fermentation. They had harsh chemicals and they are not food grade.

Try one of these

Would love to use a keg but don't want to pay the 50 fee to keep it, plus the beer. =(

Would love to use a keg but don't want to pay the 50 fee to keep it, plus the beer. =(

First, paying the 50 dollar deposit doesn't mean that you should can choose to keep the keg after you empty the beer out of it. That is just a deposit and if you intentionally keep the keg after you are stealing. If you are ok with stealing then go for it, but I just though you should know.

Second, call up a local brewery and ask them if they will sell you the used kegs that they have after they are no longer suitable for their purposes. The breweries normally ship these kegs off to scrap yards. However, they are often willing to sell them to homebrewers for the the amount that they get from the scrap yard. I just got some from my local brewery for $12 per. They are only 13.2 gallon kegs as opposed to 15.5, but they will still work for most 10 gallon batches (not high gravity batches). Or, you can just find a brewery near you that uses 15.5s. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back