Dang my Ethics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandona33

Reaction score
I have been wanting to start kegging for a couple weeks now, and held off due to the $$$. I live across the street from a Pepsi distributor, and as we speak, one of the drivers left the cargo doors wide open and 4 corny kegs are sitting right there. Its 9:33 here and in the middle of a bad smowstarm, I could easily get away with it. I could shave my kegging costs by over $100. Dang my ethics. Would you do it???

Thought crossed my mind, bt its wrong. Good for you for having good ethics too. :eek:

Interesting question. Let's explore. You get away with it, you get about $100 in kegs. You get caught you're arrested and get a criminal record. Would you pay $100 to erase a permanent criminal record? $1000?

Plus...I share a house with my brother, a cop....added wrinkle! And no, I would rather buy the kegs than face a criminal record and a fine. I am bored, wanted to see if anyone would say yes. The question actually sparked a good idea though. I have friends down the street at the Coke distributor. I didn't think these kegs were still used, thought the syrup packs were the new thing. If Pepsi still has the kegs, Coke might. I'll ask to see if they have any they need to get rid of!

Its just funny that 45 min ago I was at work doing a budget on scrap paper, cuz I don't do much work at work. I was trying to work some cash in to buy kegs. Pulling into my driveway there they are, straight across the street, parked on the side of the road. Irony bit*h slapping me in the face.

Hey, if your neighbor is a distributor he can probably get them for you for cheap or even free. My distributor at work told me that when I'm ready he can have me a few in a couple days and to just let him know.

Free is in my price range and won't make me feel guilty and lose sleep. win win

What kind of question is that? It's stealing!

Why would it ever be a consideration? The only consideration should be to ask where you can get cheap used kegs.

I believe the bad karma thing too.

I feel your pain.. I deliver gas to a few beverage distributors, and there are piles of those cornies just laying around, almost glowing like a mound of treasure in a pirate movie. The thought does enter your mind. Just like you though, I can't get passed the dreaming stage.

There is an inverse correlation between the level of alcohol in your bloodstream and your ability to maintain ethical standards. So maybe it's best you drink inside.
I would not do it either- but man- I'd be thinking about the whole scenario for weeks.

Redweasel said:
Hey, if your neighbor is a distributor he can probably get them for you for cheap or even free.
I was just about to say the same. If you live right next to the distributor, by all means, go ask about scoring some kegs in a legitimate manner - since they're being phased out, I'd bet they're regularly getting rid of them anyway.

Free is significantly different than theft. Talk to your neighbor and explain what you are doing. You might be able to score some containers cheap and find a person to brew with.

I would imagine that the flavor of stolen beer would be pretty bad.

Free after asking is significantly different than theft.

Talk to your neighbor and explain what you are doing. You might be able to score some containers cheap and find a person to brew with.

Chip said:
Talk to your neighbor and explain what you are doing. You might be able to score some containers cheap and find a person to brew with.

+1

A pepsi distributer is an excellent asset

Just go over to the distributor and ask if you could have or buy a few if they have them. Tell em your a homebrewer and wanted to try kegging your beer. You may be surprised, especially if you talk to the right person. If they think the whole home brew thing sounds neat they may just give you a few. Need more, bring the guy some HB. Honesty is the best policy, you'd be amazed where it gets you; even in the worst situations.

It is not ethics that are your problem. It is staying out of pound me in the bum prison that's your problem.

do they have cameras on the loading dock?
i kid. i kid.
just take em....;)
plus one about not posting criminal plans on the interwebb thingy...

There is a coca cola distributor in my area and they sell them very cheap,(I believe) if they are slightly damaged, minor rust, broken plastic handles etc etc. I want to keg but cant afford right now but I am going there..I love buffalo, everything is only 20min away. It should say that on the sign comming into Buffalo, not "An all American City"

Arneba28 said:
There is a coca cola distributor in my area and they sell them very cheap,(I believe) if they are slightly damaged, minor rust, broken plastic handles etc etc. I want to keg but cant afford right now but I am going there..I love buffalo, everything is only 20min away. It should say that on the sign comming into Buffalo, not "An all American City"
Really? I have email them several times and gotten no response. Do you know this for a fact?

when's garbage day? maybe they were just halfway to the curb?

where i come from, if it ain't locked down it's rubbish for the taking. ;)

edit: true story about the above. twenty years ago, the family was packing up in the driveway to go camping for a week. we had a three foot ladder that we were using to load the back of the truck. we went in the house for five minutes, come out, the ladder is gone. they didn't touch anything in the bed of the truck, just swiped our ladder.

orfy said:
If you are going to steal something.

1.....make it something worth while
2.....don't discuss it on a public forum.

I really tried to hit this nail on the head the way he did. This does sum up my feelings on the matter. Well said. well written.

I ended up meeting a guy at the Pub I tend bar at last night and we got to talking about HB. He worked for coca cola for years and said he has a pile of the kegs laying around and he is dropping them off for me later this week. Karma wins out on this one.

Back