ghetto brew setups?...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's like they say,one man's junk is another man's treasure. I guess I'm like many on here in that I look around in the stores for what I can use for brewing. Everything does work if ya let it...:rockin:

Ive seen some of the pictures on here, some of contain equipment i dream of having. hears my truly ghetto system and ke brew system.jpg

kegorator.jpggerator

I don't know. I would kill to have what some of you call "ghetto". I have a stove and a 15 yr old 8 gal enamel pot, wort chiller and cooler.

Ghetto 3-tier setup, ghetto grain-mill setup.

I should mention that I've screwed the 2x4's to the other shelving wood beneath them on the grain mill setup (under the milk crate). #upgrades

IMG_20121020_213020.jpg

IMG_20120810_180752.jpg

PackerfaninSanDiego said:
how long did it take to get to boil temp? 3 hrs?

Its not too bad as a process. Getting 3gallons of strike water to temp takes 30mins. Then heating sparge water is easily done during mash. If its cold and windy getting 5gallons to boil from 149 can take a while. Don't have my notes in front of me but I believe the last batch took about a half hour with two wraps of fiber insulation and a lid in 50F still air. Granted I did finish the boil inside on an electric flat top because the fuel tank was empty and it takes a few minutes to vent, refill, reprime, reheat etc. but that's my fault for not refilling before the boil.

I brew some amazing beers with this extreme ghetto gear! I use a foil turkey pan to sparge with:). It fits perfectly in the top of the cooler and holds about 2 gallons of water. Poked a few tiny holes and works better than a sparge arm..

image-3782699218.jpg

I just hope the whole thing is balanced by that plastic bucket (full of starsan?) on the other side.

Yup, full of Starsan. The table just got replaced yesterday with a nice long pub style table. Guess i need to find something better for my stand since i don't want to use the new shiny table for this purpose.

Yup, full of Starsan. The table just got replaced yesterday with a nice long pub style table. Guess i need to find something better for my stand since i don't want to use the new shiny table for this purpose.

What happened to the old table?!? Repurpose!

I pray you have a basement. Brewing in the kitchen can't be that much fun...

Nope, but i have a rather large backyard with a complete Tiki bar... which will soon get some keg taps :) I plan to do most of my brewing out there..

168522_3706604615970_1765202638_n.jpg

Could make for a cold trip in February when you need a beer, though :D

And after a few, try not to step in/on the pool!

Could make for a cold trip in February when you need a beer, though :D

And after a few, try not to step in/on the pool!

Growlers will be a must for winter months.. however it most likely won't be until next summer until i get a keg/draft system setup.

And been there, fell in. luckily the cover over it now could hold an elephant.

My set up from my last brew. Getting used to all-grain brewing still. I've done a half dozen AG batches now. Used a cooler for the first few but now using a kettle w false bottom. Need to insulate prolly.
I love the ideas from this thread/forum. Thanks guys for the uploads. Awesome stuff.

image-804787611.jpg

Yeah,I thought it was a neat idea to see what ghetto rigged breweries the rest of you guys came up with. Good ol' American ingenuity. Necessity being the mother of invention...:tank:

not FULLY ghetto, but testing the stove in the new apt, boiled 4 gallons down to 3 in an hour :tank: - now i just need to make it look classy.... haha

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Here's my set up. The wood I got is scrap lumber from work the carpenters used to pour footings. As you can tell by the pics I am no carpenter. But it works. I spent one night drinking in the garage and looking at different pics of brew stands online to build mine. I need one more burner and a worth chiller before I can step up to 10 gallon batches

image-441188581.jpg

image-1044917143.jpg

That is pretty ghetto. But whatever works! I haven't brewed since August and I'm going crazy waiting for my tax return

I made a simple blonde ale. Bottom left is the basic recipe. Bottom right I added honey and the top is the basic recipe but it's open fermentation. I'm hoping the wife likes one of them lol

Latest posts

Back