Question about kegerator setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx_shooter

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to setup my kegerator with an older model top/bottom freezer/fridge that I bought for $30. I want to put the taps on the lower part of the freezer door. I will have to cut a hole from the fridge part to the freezer part for the beer hoses.

My questions are:

1) Will my beer lines freeze in the freezer? I'm expecting I would probably have to insulate the lines to protect against them freezing.

2) Is this more hassle than it is worth? I just don't like the taps being so dang low if I mount them on the fridge door and allow room for the tap handle.

The spot where the kegerator is going does not allow me to mount the taps on either side so that is not an option. If this is not a good idea; does anyone have an alternative idea? In the end I'm looking at 4-6 taps on the door.

I don't know how tall you are but you could build a stand about a foot high to set the fridge on. Then you could keep the taps low on the fridge but the would be a perfect height from your perspective.

Yeah I would be hesitant to drill holes between you fridge and freezer compartments. Depending on the model, there's probably refrigerant lines running in that wall and if you hit any of those you will ruin that fridge. I like the idea of raising it better.

Good point about the possibility of refrigerant lines in the divider; had not thought about those. I have thought about pinning the doors together; that might end up being the way I go with it. I talked to my wife about the idea of putting the fridge on a lift of some sort and she quickly told me no. She has plans for the freezer portion and if I raise it too much she won't be able to reach all of it (she's only 5'3").

your only real restriction is going to be your tap handle's. Just be sure when marking your location for the holes that you decide on your tap handles first, and space it down accordingly. I like the plain black plastic ones myself. From the perspective of your wife (based on the experience with mine), hooking the doors together, or anything funky like that is just going to cause you grief. Once your taps are in you can paint the freezer portion with chalk board paint, or get a cheap chalk board from Walmart or Target and glue it to the freezer to label your taps. I went the glued on method, and it was actually cheaper than the chalk board paint.

Thanks for the idea; that sounds like the better way to go. I might just have to build up this kegerator so I have something functional. In the mean time I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on a stand up freezer to convert. I'll have to get her a separate freezer; but that is a price I'm willing to pay for harmony at home.

Back