blueberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolabrew85

Reaction score
I have been considering making a blueberry wheat ale. Should I use a blueberry puree or blueberry flavoring or both? Thanks

I've had good luck using the RW Knudsen just blueberry juice. That was for wine, but it fermented very well. Lots of blueberry flavor in the final product.

I find the flavorings to be a little on the artificial tasting side. I used a 3# can of peach puree in a 5 gallon recipe and it came out really well for my peach ale. Peach on the nose and a taste of peach without being too overbearing.

I've also had (haven't actually made) homebrews made using frozen fruits taste really good. I just liked using the puree since it's all been done for you, and it's sanitary, rather than having to deal with it myself.

Pending on how much you want the flavor to show, a 3# can might be a lot, I feel like blueberries are kinda 'strong' at least stronger than peaches, in terms of taste.

Thanks!! I think I will go with the blueberry puree added in the secondary fermentation for about a week or so.

Back