Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkorn74

Reaction score
Looking for guidance on how much water to use for my sparge. I'm brewing an AG caribou slobber. This is my first attempt at AG and my brew buddy is not here. iBrewmaster says my boil size should be 5.8 gallons for a 5 gallon batch and to use 15.93 qts for mash.

I usally use 3.25 gallons for strike plus .1 gal / lb of grain (10lbs i would use 4.25 gals) and x gallons for sparge to give me 6.5 gallons in the kettle and 5.5 in the carboy

So far I have about 4 gallons of strike water heating and I just finished making my grist.

I typically do 6.5 - 6.75 gallons for an hour long boil to end up with 5 gallons in my fermenter. I shoot for 5.25G final in the kettle to account for loss due to hop absorption, trub, and whatnot. For sparge water it really depends on your grain bill, how much water in your mash, and what preboil volume you want to start with. My sparges are typically in the 4.5 gallon range on average, double batch sparge 2 x 2.25 gallon. Again, this varies, just giving my usual average ballpark.

Rev.

So far so good. I did a 4 gallon sparge and collected about 5.8 to boil. The lid is on and I just broke 180 on the thermometer so we will see how it turns out. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Back