Going to Charlotte, NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QsnotPs

Reaction score
I saw the responses to the Chicago question, and am impressed, I'll be in Charlotte, NC for a week, is there anything out there? We were thinking of goign to the blue ridge run, or whatever it's called too.

Go to any Taco Mac. They are not as good as the original in Little Highlands Atlanta but they do have many beers. Many are good.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but are there any other good places down by the convention center?

The Uptown area is pretty walkable, and has numerous bars, some with pretty decent stuff on tap. Carolina Ale House probably has the best tap selection in the immediate Uptown area, and is right up the street from the Convention Center, as is the Epicenter, which houses multiple bars/restaurants/clubs. If you like Irish food, RiRa on Tryon St. (one street up from the convention center) isn't far, and has great food. I don't really care for the Rock Bottom that is also in Uptown, but their seasonal is usually OK. If you really want local craft beer, your better off hopping over to NoDa (will require a cab or other transport) and checking out the two breweries (Noda and Birdsong, referenced in my prior post).

Thank you for the input, I will probably go visit Noda and Birdsong, maybe the Carolina Ale House (talk about a lot of beers).

F.Y.I. Berkdale is awesome, it has bars, wine bars, all kinds of things to do, and it's all walking distance.
and another F.Y.I. North Carolina sets up road blocks equiped with breathalyzers........almost every weekend.

Old McKlenburg is always fun, very German'esque place.

Yeah, Old Meck also makes good beer, but is definitely more German, and quite Rheinheitsgebot. I prefer the more American style brewing at Noda and Birdsong (and if you're into a drive, there's also Ass Clown up by Lake Norman -- ~30 min or so north of Uptown), but if you dig German style beer, Old Meck is worth a drive or cab ride from uptown.

Ass Clown up by Lake Norman -- ~30 min or so north of Uptown), but if you dig German style beer, Old Meck is worth a drive or cab ride from uptown.

+1 on Ass Clown. They get crazy and experimental on some beers. Had a sour there not long ago that was great. I think they run tastings just on Saturday.

Yeah, Old Meck also makes good beer, but is definitely more German, and quite Rheinheitsgebot. I prefer the more American style brewing at Noda and Birdsong (and if you're into a drive, there's also Ass Clown up by Lake Norman -- ~30 min or so north of Uptown), but if you dig German style beer, Old Meck is worth a drive or cab ride from uptown.

Old Meck is awesome. Very balanced, subtle beers. I could drink there all day. Also I went solo while my wife was shopping. The bartenders were very cool and gave me about $20 worth of beer to take with me for free...

Tonight I went to Taco Mac, absolutely awesome. We sat at a table WITH OUR OWN TAPS! It was only three beers Old Meck Copper, Sweetwater LowRYEder IPA and another Sweetwater. When it comes to food, actually the roasted wings are the best wings I've ever had. F.Y.I. I hold records all over Iowa, including buffalo wild wings, beef o'brady's, the cajun fest, etc. so I know my wings. The nachos were excellent, but if you go, you must get the choco chimi desert, super great.

When it comes to price I expect to pay 5.25 for a pitcher of domestic, here is was 11.38, and no telling what I paid for what I drank, the tab was up there.

Overall, I'm coming back no questions asked, the server was cute and bubbly as can be, tons of tv's, and the channels were very well chosen, the food was out of this world, and above all, 100's of beers on tap, 100's of beer in bottles, beer taps at the table, including locally brewed beer from charlotte, raleigh, and surrounding areas.......A+. If you go to Charlotte, I strongly suggest this restaurant.

If you're looking for a beer store, I've got to give a plug to Brawley's. Great selection in a small store with a family feel. The owner is extremely knowledgeable, and he respects the beer he sells.

If you liked taco mac then try Duckworths. If you like Brawleys try Mikes.

Someone asked about the convention center. World of Beer is a quick trip on the light rail from there.

I was at Sutton House last night for the first time. A nice selection on the taps and good food.

Try Olde Mecklenburg's 'Rein Pale Ale' while you are in Charlotte. AKA ' mikethepoolguy pale ale' as it is my recipe, brewed by OMB, a pro-am winner and the summer seasonal.

Mac's speed shop has a great beer selection, good food and several locations.

Noda and Birdsong were a lot of fun too.
Noda had 26 females, and 12 males...........
I overheard someone at Birdsong saying they are purchasing all new equipment. As of right now they only keg, so maybe they will be bottling soon too.
If you go, eat from the trailer out front, it is two guys who make their own brautwurst, and home cook all their food, and it is excellent. I think they even make their own barbecue sauce, and it's not ketchup based.

Bumping this thread. Monday nights Charlotte metro brixxs $1.95 domestic draft night. 21St amendment stone Ipa and dessert Ellie brown ale. All 1.95

Back