Whats Chewing these????????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esmitee

Reaction score
I seen these little Cat's on my bines and all these holes are apearing.

how do I get rid of these pests?

:mug:

2012-05-29_17-11-10_28.jpg

2012-05-29_17-11-19_737.jpg

2012-05-29_17-11-34_663.jpg

the EATERs,
1st 2 pics are not very clear, But it's a little green Caterpillar,

and the 3rd pic is the black w/stripe Caterpillar that was under the leaves and on the bines. need to get rid of these pests ASAP

:mug:

2012-05-30_15-42-13_580.jpg

2012-05-30_15-42-24_786.jpg

2012-05-30_15-42-53_458.jpg

I've got those little bastards and there cousins. Organocide works pretty good as a repellent but needs to be applied every other day. I used diamaceous earth (maybe not enough) and still found slugs and catipillars. so I declared war and have been manually scanning and picking these Dudes off. I'm also looking for a better solution.

I've got those little bastards and there cousins. Organocide works pretty good as a repellent but needs to be applied every other day. I used diamaceous earth (maybe not enough) and still found slugs and catipillars. so I declared war and have been manually scanning and picking these Dudes off. I'm also looking for a better solution.

Stevo, this "Organocide" where did you get it at? HD or Lowes? I don't have a problem with applying it every 2 days, if it stops them :mug:

esmitee said:
stevo, this "organocide" where did you get it at? Hd or lowes? I don't have a problem with applying it every 2 days, if it stops them :mug:

hd.

Why do you need to get rid of these pests? Are your plants dying? Plants are tougher than you think - they can support insects eating their leaves. They will make more leaves up top!

paulster2626 said:
Why do you need to get rid of these pests? Are your plants dying? Plants are tougher than you think - they can support insects eating their leaves. They will make more leaves up top!

Agreed. I was referring to new sprouts where leaves are limited. I've had catippilars and or slugs strip one foot bines in one night.

My pillars are black and fuzzy. They live on the underside of the leaves but leave the hops alone. I used sevin dust prior to the hop creation and it works somewhat, but I don't dust after the hops form. They can eat an entire plant fast.

The organicide has worked really well on my hops, mix it with some water per bottle directions and than I use a garden sprayer to apply. I spray about every three or four days as it has done nothing but rain in our area....keeps the bugs away. It's made with a natural neem oil which is an anti-fungal and has (I think) citronella and some other essential oils that repel insects.

Slugs, on the other hand, get skewered on sight. ;)

Yep my hops plants have a few of those holy leaves. For caterpillars I use a product made by Safer that contains bt. I think it's called caterpillar killer. Spray the undersides of the leaves and it will keep them at bay. Completely non toxic too.

For slugs and snails I use a bait called sluggo.

For slugs try taking a beer can that has been cut in half and then dig a little hole for the can to sit in level with the ground and fill it about half way up with beer. The beer attracts the slugs in and they fall in the beer and drown it works pretty damn good

For slugs try taking a beer can that has been cut in half and then dig a little hole for the can to sit in level with the ground and fill it about half way up with beer. The beer attracts the slugs in and they fall in the beer and drown it works pretty damn good

It's crazy - when you put this out, they will all make a beeline for the can from pretty far away. The fact they can detect the beer from so far and know exactly where it is, is impressive.

paulster2626 said:
It's crazy - when you put this out, they will all make a beeline for the can from pretty far away. The fact they can detect the beer from so far and know exactly where it is, is impressive.

I'm the same way.

Does anyone know if this Organocide works for spider mites? I have several eating my babies. If this product doesn't work, anyone know what does??

Back