Exact same FG??? What gives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdjtexas

Reaction score
12 days ago I brewed a simple American Red Ale. I did 11 gallons so I could do a little experiment. I had some 3 month old WL 060 that I washed and stored and I had a 2 week old wyeast 1056 smack, today at kegging I took gravity readings and the beers were identical at 1.016 FG. I had an OG of 1.047 thus making a good solid 4.1% session ale.

My beers were fermented in exact same conditions maintaining 64-66* what gives? I missed FG that Beersmith said (1.010)
No big deal but I also made a good starter and and aerated for 20 mins. I am wondering.... Did I keg too soon? Any one have any experiment with these yeasts in a similar scenario?

I have never used either of those strains. It could come down to your mash temperatures. Did you mash at the temperatures set by Beersmith? If the temperatures were on the higher side you could have extracted more unfermentables, thus making your FG higher.

I also use Beersmith and miss my FG. I seem to miss my final gravity readings from time to time. I assume this is because of the trouble i have maintaining temperatures in my mash tun.

Is this extract or all grain? Extract doesn't give you a lot of room to adjust your attentutation. If you are all grain...what was your mash temp and is your thermometer calibrated?

All grain. You know I did mash 2-4 deg higher than I anticipated. I guess that coulda been a reason

Most likely, a higher temperature mash will lead to a less fermentable wort. There are a bevy of factors that affect attenuation though. Beersmith estimates an attenuation based on averages for yeast. So if your strain attenuates at 65-70 % it may do 67.5. Then it takes into account the fermentability of the wort. (I believe). This is done from a composite indexing of your grain points, expected mash efficiency, mash temperatures and such. Try going into beersmith, and correcting your infusion temperatures to what they actually were. See if it changes it for you at all.

agreed... But It was coming out either way. Got a party in 2 weeks and I got the beer tab. Not a huge deal and well within the style guidelines. Hell no one will know at this party anyways! Thanks guys.. Ill try to adjust and hit my intended degree mark. I was actually off 5 deg and now I know for next time. On the side.... Very clear beer and it tastes great flat so I assume itll be better with bubbles.

Back