Wrong sugar for priming. Uh oh.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanMalleck

Reaction score
How stupid is this: I primed three dozen 12 oz bottles of a double IPA recently (plus a few pints and quarts). But I primed with maltodextrin instead of dextrose! What a moron. (in my defense: white sweet powder in the same drawer!)

Is there any way to calculate the amount of sugar to put in each bottle to get some fizz without explosions? I could get the right weight of dextrose and then sort of eyeball it, but there seem to me to be a bazillion sanitation and priming hazards awaiting.

Help! *smacks forehead*

Thanks. Should I be worried about contamination?

I never did, never had a gusher or grenade, and I bottled for 10 years before finally switching to kegging. 'Course the one thing I made sure of was the FG was stable before bottling. Hopefully you did the same...

Cheers!

Since you've already bottled, probably the best answer at this point is carb tabs. Drop one pill in each bottle and re-cap them.

DanMalleck said:
Thanks. Should I be worried about contamination?

It I always a possibility, but not worry worthy..... Give them a few weeks and put them in a Rubbermaid tub or something like that just in case you have some bottle bombs. I have been brewing a while now and have every only had a couple bottles with some sort of infection... You will get a ring in the top of the bottle where the top of the beer is, and likely a gusher.

I never did, never had a gusher or grenade, and I bottled for 10 years before finally switching to kegging. 'Course the one thing I made sure of was the FG was stable before bottling. Hopefully you did the same...

Cheers!

Yeah, FG was stable. It was also 11%, so I think contamination is unlikely. Originally I thought the yeast could not handle the alcohol level.

Back