Old pomegranate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ka9qlq

Reaction score
I had some pomegranate seeds popped out in a plastic snap lid bowl and took to long to eat them all. One day someone asked why there was an air pocket in it. "That's not air honey" I laughed. "That's CO2, a byproduct of a chemical reaction. There's another byproduct too." I grind.

Ok forget eating them, then I got an idea. I put them in a cleaned pop bottle added some sugar, water, then shook the devil out of it, and sat it in the fridge. I loosen the cap twice weekly and man it puts out the CO2 and there's an alcohol smell when I do.

Now the big Q. Will this be a fun toy, or someday can I safely take a sip just to see what it's like?
God bless
Alvin

Generally, yeast needs to be warm to ferment so taking it out of the fridge would be your first step. Put it somewhere the temperature is consistently warm, take the lid off and cover it with a paper towel with an elastic band around it.

I think you'll be safe to take a sip after fermentation has finished. If it will taste any good or not is another question entirely.
Hope you have success though.

Dicky

Thanks
Never hear of using a paper towel, interesting. I've been reading and it all is confusing. That's why I joined here. I live in a nursing home and keep my room around 80F. I'd love to actually get some juice and make a Gal of something or honey mead, but I'm sure what I'm doing now violates all sort of polices.
Alvin

Haha, to be fair, there are so many different ways of doing things that no matter what you do someone will say a different method is best. But there are certain things that everyone agrees with.

A paper towel over the top basically allows the CO2 to escape but no flies or bacteria carrying things to get in. It ok to do do for a primary fermentation as the yeast will be kicking out enough co2 to displace air. But really an airlock is best.
In all honesty, there are so many factors in using wild yeast that might mean your little skirmish will not turn out too great. Not all wild yeast is actually any good.

I suggest taking a look around the internet and doing some reading about the subject a little. It is a very fun hobby, and something very easy to get carried away with. :)

Dicky

Man this makes me want to get a 2 or 3 liter pop bottle and cherry juice. I just wish I could facebook it but to many staff on my fb. Dang my curiosity........
Alvin

Well I couldn't wait any longer I had to try my hooch I dubbeb Pomepain. Now I'm not a drinker so I really don't have anything to compare but it ain't bad. You can taste the pomegranate a friend said it was a little strong. It is much better then the rum I tried strait. I taste the alcohol burn but the flavor comes through. So I took some Welches black cherry grape 10oz, 4oz sugar, 1/8 tsp store bought yeast, 6 raisins, and 10oz water in a 24 oz bottle.
Alvin

Haha, I got ya! You meant it as in "pop bottle? But usually bottles contain wine do they not?".

Dicky

Pop bottle
A PET bottle you put yeast, sugar, and juice in then cap and hope you don't forget to check on before it goes

POP!!!
:drunk: Alvin :drunk:

Good thing I did check my black cherry grape today or I would'ah had'ah pop bottle! Whew!
Any I got 10oz of wine (hooch?) strained through a paper towel (yah we're all MIT here) to rack. Where do I rack it?
Now I've moved from to Whoops wine to water, juice, (store bought) yeast wine adventure (and it really is). What should I try next?
Acid blend?
Yeast energizer?
Yeast nutrient?
Alvin

Hi Alvin-

I suspect that inmates have brewed perfectly acceptable cell block hooch in similar environmental conditions so I suspect that you could do so as well. What kind of yeast are you using, plain old bread yeast? Take a look at http://www.brewingkb.com/mead/Different-types-and-levels-of-yeast-4005.html for some ideas on what yeast strains will thrive in your temp range and perhaps order some off ebay.

Also, take a look at this: http://e-z-caps.com/

Good luck and 73 old man.

Yes Red Star I got at Wal-mart. I am thinking hard on the EZ caps.
To bad you're so far of. We could meet @ the hamfest the 31st
Alvin

I suggest getting hold of a couple of gallon demijohns/carboys and getting yourself a kit. Take it from there.

Dicky

Would be fun Alvin, not much in the way of hamfests around here. Do you have access to any radio gear there?

About a year after I got here God answered my prayers by having an administrator hire on that was an ex Methodist preacher who was a ham! So he let me put my GP-15 try-band on a 20' pole (state regs sat other administrators can't change permission) I have a FT-8900 quad-band and a usb relay box that I had to wright the controller to in yabasic "because we don't have it for Linux." Looking forward to 6 heating up.
Dicky technically this violates policy because
A most nursing home residents are here because they :tank:
B a "conquerors" could get in it.
C Booz and people taking 30 pills a day don't mix. I don't take many.
That's why. If your doc ok's it you can :mug: but they still want it kept in the Med lockup. I'm talking to some friends about using their home but if they do it what fun is that?
Alvin

Back