The Twelve Hopostles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually have 3 of the 12 going right now. Should be ready to drink in two weeks.

I brewed a batch of St. James the Greater last night with one "modification":

I made it more of a session pale ale vs. an IPA. I was looking to do a session pale ale for the summer and I've followed this thread since I found it and...since I wasn't really being inspired to come up with a recipe I went with St. James the Greater -- plus, he's my son's Confirmation namesake (his greatgrandfather was also named James).

Anyway, brewday went off without too many glitches -- I did forget to add the Irish Moss so I have a LOT of trub in the primary that got past my strainer. A little under my target OG but not anything to complain about. I went with 1272 for the yeast.

Of course, I didn't think about pictures until I was done...:drunk:

For those that may be interested, here's my partial mash (BIAB, mash at 154) recipe:

St. James the Greater - American Pale Ale
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.000 gal
Boil Size: 3.500 gal
Boil Time: 1.000 hr
Efficiency: 70%%
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.0%%
Bitterness: 33.2 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 6 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Amber Malt Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 75%% 22 L
Extra Light Dry Extract Dry Extract 3.000 lb No Yes 95%% 3 L
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 4.000 lb Yes No 79%% 2 L
Total grain: 8.000 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Cascade 5.5%% 0.500 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 10.5
Cascade 5.5%% 0.250 oz Boil 50.000 min Pellet 5.0
Cascade 5.5%% 0.250 oz Boil 40.000 min Pellet 4.6
Cascade 5.5%% 0.500 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 8.1
Cascade 5.5%% 0.250 oz Boil 20.000 min Pellet 3.2
Cascade 5.5%% 0.250 oz Boil 10.000 min Pellet 1.9
Cascade 5.5%% 0.250 oz Aroma 0.000 s Pellet 0.0
Cascade 5.5%% 0.500 oz Dry Hop 4.000 day Pellet 0.0

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Wyeast - American Ale II Ale Liquid 0.528 cup Primary

I currently have James the Lesser, Saint Jude, Saint Matthew on tap. Throwing a party tonight with a side by side tasting of all three. Whose thirsty?

I love this idea so much!

I've always wanted to do a steinbier and call it "Peter".

BK, what are you using for your brewing data sheets? Also, do you have any of the excel source files you care fo share?

I'm thinking this may be a good idea for those who grow hops (like me) and have leftovers that they don't use. Cascade is what I grow most of but sometimes have leftover sterling or Williamette.

My brewlog is from braukaiser.com

I also use Kaiser's efficiency spreadsheet for every brew to monitor my system. I highly recommend both those logs.

Awesome work everyone. Keep up the brewing!

As I sit here drinking a Saint Matthew I had a daydream about how these recipes must have come together.

I envisioned the Lord of Malt preaching the glory of his majestic grain bill sent down from above. On his travels he meet the Hopostles each with their own sacred spice which when paired with his grain and the spirit of the holy yeast brought on a feeling of jubilation.

Yes I have brewed them all and a few of my own creation by swapping out the hop and keeping the 70 IBUs. My suggestion would be to not start with the Sorachi Ace. I had to brew that one twice.

Maybe we can work out some kind of swap. One bottle of each to compare mine against yours. I was planning to brew these again and give away a few 12 packs including all the Hopostles.

The hops alone are a full shopping list for sure.

My plan was line up twelve investors, and brew all 12 over a weekend, then provide each investor with 2 sets of the Twelve Hopostles when they are all labeled and ready (about 5 weeks).

It is an ambitious plan but sounds really fun to me, provided I can get my family to work around it...

The cost to each investor would be $32/case or $8/6er. The total cost to brew all twelve is $472, so I think that is pretty fair considering these are all IPAs

Anyway, I am hoping to line this up for February sometime if all goes well. I would definitely be up for a swap.

Why not the Sorachi? Bad? Really good? I have had the Centenial, the Simcoe, and the Cascade so far and those were rather good. The flavors have been interesting to say the least.

Why not the Sorachi? Bad? Really good? I have had the Centenial, the Simcoe, and the Cascade so far and those were rather good. The flavors have been interesting to say the least.

It was my first experience with Sorachi Ace and it was so nice I brewed it twice in a row. However I missed the volume of you recipe and made a 5 gallon batch using the same ingredient quantities.

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount
US 2-Row Malt 9.50 lb
US Caramel 40L Malt 1.00 lb

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
Sorachi Ace 12.0 % 7 g 8.4 Bagged Whole Hops All Of Boil
Sorachi Ace 12.0 % 11 g 13.3 Bagged Whole Hops 50 Min From End
Sorachi Ace 12.0 % 12 g 13.0 Bagged Whole Hops 40 Min From End
Sorachi Ace 12.0 % 10 g 10.3 Bagged Whole Hops 30 Min From End
Sorachi Ace 12.0 % 10 g 8.1 Bagged Whole Hops 20 Min From End
Sorachi Ace 12.0 % 13 g 6.1 Bagged Whole Hops 10 Min From End
Sorachi Ace 12.0 % 10 g 0.0 Bagged Whole Hops At turn off

Yeast
DCL US-05 (formerly US-56) SafAle

Fermentation Notes
6 weeks in primary

Packaging Notes
Tasted great at kegging.(Room Temp and Flat.) Carb'd 45F @ 20 PSI for a week. then 15 PSI

Tasting Notes
****ing Delicious

Well, I am going to attempt to brew all 12 in a single weekend in February. This is by far my most ambitious brewing attempt to date. I will have both the Simple Brewery and the 2P-Twent-E breweries brewing in parallel (both rigs in my sig). So I am thinking I will brew on the following schedule:

Friday night-
Simple → Andrew​
2P-Twent-E → Bartholomew​

Saturday-
Simple:​
→6:00am James the Greater​
→11:00am John​
→4:00pm Jude​
2P-Twent-E​
→ 6:00am James the Lesser​
→ 11:00am Judas​
→4:00pm Matthew​

Sunday-
Simple:​
→8:00am Philip​
→1:00pm Simon Zealot​
2P-Twent-E​
→ 8:00am Simon Peter​
→ 1:00pm Thomas​

Whew. That is a lot of brewing, I am going to need a lot of coffee. I will hopefully have a video camera (TyTanium?) and will take some pictures.

I need to line up 12 fermenters, 60 gallons of distilled water, 336 pounds of ice, 126 pounds of grain, 4.5 pounds of hops, and 5 gallons of starter wort.

I hope this ends well.....

That is an epic brewing schedule. Best of luck to you. You should try to ustream it so we can watch.

Boerderij_Kabouter said:
Well, I am going to attempt to brew all 12 in a single weekend in February. This is by far my most ambitious brewing attempt to date. I will have both the Simple Brewery and the 2P-Twent-E breweries brewing in parallel (both rigs in my sig). So I am thinking I will brew on the following schedule:

Friday night-
Simple → Andrew
2P-Twent-E → Bartholomew

Saturday-
Simple:
→6:00am James the Greater
→11:00am John
→4:00pm Jude
2P-Twent-E
→ 6:00am James the Lesser
→ 11:00am Judas
→4:00pm Matthew

Sunday-
Simple:
→8:00am Philip
→1:00pm Simon Zealot
2P-Twent-E
→ 8:00am Simon Peter
→ 1:00pm Thomas

Whew. That is a lot of brewing, I am going to need a lot of coffee. I will hopefully have a video camera (TyTanium?) and will take some pictures.

I need to line up 12 fermenters, 60 gallons of distilled water, 336 pounds of ice, 126 pounds of grain, 4.5 pounds of hops, and 5 gallons of starter wort.

I hope this ends well.....

Mother of God...

YES. I'm in. So is my camera. It's old though - miniDV Sony Handycam. It'd be ideal to get a camera of commensurate epic-ness to that of this brew day. I'll see what I can do.

The other thing - watching video of 12 identical batches could get repetitive. I've started thinking about how we'll edit this together. We'll have to be just as organized with our sequencing & videography as we are with the actual brewing. I like where this is going.

Oh, and how are you gonna temp-control fermentation of 12 batches simultaneously?

YES. I'm in. So is my camera. It's old though - miniDV Sony Handycam. It'd be ideal to get a camera of commensurate epic-ness to that of this brew day. I'll see what I can do.

The other thing - watching video of 12 identical batches could get repetitive. I've started thinking about how we'll edit this together. We'll have to be just as organized with our sequencing & videography as we are with the actual brewing. I like where this is going.

Oh, and how are you gonna temp-control fermentation of 12 batches simultaneously?

I would vote some sort of livestock watering trough with some aquarium heaters and pumps.

ajbram said:
I would vote some sort of livestock watering trough with some aquarium heaters and pumps.

Or get twelve homeless people to huddle against them for warmth. Pay them in biscuits made from the grain, and steel reserve.

The basement should be right around 60º in the middle of February, which is actually pretty ideal. I can then bring them up into the house where it is warmer (~67º) for final attenuation and conditioning.

When i saw this post i fell in love with how simple and cool it was. Tomorrow i am going to make and extract version of the St Andrew with 7 lbs DME instead of the grains. I think that should be ok.

This thread makes me feel closer to the TRUTH embodied in the yeasty alchemy. If today we have no true monastic cells, at least the spirit of devotion lives. The Force is strong with this one.

Boerderij_Kabouter said:
My plan was line up twelve investors, and brew all 12 over a weekend, then provide each investor with 2 sets of the Twelve Hopostles when they are all labeled and ready (about 5 weeks).

It is an ambitious plan but sounds really fun to me, provided I can get my family to work around it...

The cost to each investor would be $32/case or $8/6er. The total cost to brew all twelve is $472, so I think that is pretty fair considering these are all IPAs

Anyway, I am hoping to line this up for February sometime if all goes well. I would definitely be up for a swap.

That seems like a lot for 12 beers. I'm assuming that will mostly be for hops? I'm going to try and solo brew all 12 in a weekend soon also (i blame you). I'm going to make a giant 3 day party out of it.

So I made up a box label for the 6-pack holders... What do you think?

Cover_smaller.png

Not sure if anyone noticed...but, in the description of St. Simon, last sentence....should it read "fill you with a zeal for life" instead of "feel you with a zeal for life"?

So I made up a box label for the 6-pack holders... What do you think?

Love the font and the picture. Not sure about the star-type outline though...doesn't quite seem to fit. Though perhaps that's intentional to have a splash of bold shape & color against the tepid background.

Love the font and the picture. Not sure about the star-type outline though...doesn't quite seem to fit. Though perhaps that's intentional to have a splash of bold shape & color against the tepid background.

I think a more appropriate outline would be a round golden "halo", that is blurred/faded around the edge. This would be more in line with tradition depictions of Jesus. The hops inside would stay. Perhaps the golden halo around the edge could be a light colored beer, with bubble in it?

I'll try to put something together to better show you what's in my head....

... round golden "halo", that is blurred/faded around the edge...

Haha...I was thinking the same thing! That could look sweet. Like the "beer" gold idea.

BK - just noticed the pile of hops on the table. That has to stay. Love it.

The star is the Twelve pointed star and is an iconographic representation of the Twelve Apolstles. It will tie into the cap labels I will be putting on the bottles. Each cap will have a paper strap over the top with the Apostles icon surrounded by the star of the Apostles.

What if you changed the green border to the gold one? If you added some blur / grain / fade distress elements it might fit with the rest of it better? Just thinking out loud here.

Oooh, I like that, a lot. Love the subtly. You could probably even boost the gold a bit more. What would it look like without the green line? Or if the dark green blends into the light green hops? I think it's the sharp/crisp edges of the dark green line that distract me, wonder if blurring/softening would look good? Either way it looks sweet.

Back