Tips on AHS Hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StophJS

Reaction score
I'm looking into the AHS Bavarian Hefeweizen as my next brew, but I really don't want more than a subtle clove favor in the mix. Really mt only two temperature options are to ferment at 63 ambient or about 72. I know that 63 will give me more clove than I want, but will 72 be pushing it? I figure it might push up near 77 or so during fermentation. I don't recall ever having a beer with a read distinc "banana" flavor but I imagine I'd be a lot more forgiving of that than the clove.

Brewed this kit last Spring and kept the fermentation temps around 64 degrees. Turned out great with a pretty even blend of Bannana and Clove. This kit was a fan favorite and had everyone begging for more. Use the liquid yeast that was recommended with the kit.

I prefer the banana to the clove. When I do my hefe I use a quarter of a package of dry wheat yeast and temps 72-74. I starve the yeast. Comes out awesome.

How do you starve the yeast when you pitch a quarter packet??? Underpitching means a smaller amount of yeast has all the sugar in the wort to eat...

nate_ive said:
How do you starve the yeast when you pitch a quarter packet??? Underpitching means a smaller amount of yeast has all the sugar in the wort to eat...

Once the wort is at pitch temps dump a 1/4-1/2 packet of dry right on top, install airlock and forget about it.

I got this from Bill, the Brewmaster at Dry Dock Brewing. His Hefe took gold at this year's GABF

Once the wort is at pitch temps dump a 1/4-1/2 packet of dry right on top, install airlock and forget about it.

I got this from Bill, the Brewmaster at Dry Dock Brewing. His Hefe took gold at this year's GABF

So not starving the yeast, just making it work a lot harder.

I suppose one could also just pitch a vial of liquid without a starter?

StophJS said:
So not starving the yeast, just making it work a lot harder.

I suppose one could also just pitch a vial of liquid without a starter?

Starving it of oxygen, never used liquid always pitched dry. Probably wouldn't use a starter or pitch the whole vial, but that's just me.

Back