Holy Carboy Batman!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang, tried one Wally on Tuesday and they didn't have any Better Bottles... the only ones they had were #3 plastic

Tried a different Wally Wednesday and their empty bottles were completely sold out so I have no idea if they got them.

Oh well, there are still two more to try.

Ours today (god what a bad day to need dog food) had #7 bottles from a different place. Got to love business, always going with the cheapest they can at that time.

On an unrelated note, it's amazing how well oxyclean takes care of used bottles. I got close to 200 nice wine bottles today from a mansion/inn here, and they are knocking right out!

Welcome to the site bucky, please do some research here before adding to the confusion many members have over plastic bottles. Revvy has many good posts you will benefit from reading.

tried my 2 local wal marts today and no luck.1 didnt have any, they are just finishing their conversion to a super center and are hit and miss on products. They other had a 5 gal from a TX company, and they were #3 at $7 each. Ill have to start watching for others and checking menards and home depot when i go there.

Home depot just about always has them just not always in five gallons. We just moved and this walmart has the same ones, #3 from TX. These ones are PTE thouh so I wont be hesitant to buy them if I need one in a pinch.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

Not sure what the attitude is about. I'm new to this and thought that I WAS researching the topic?? And I have read every post in this thread. I've been looking around trying to find a large water container like this because all I have to work with at the moment are 5 gallon buckets and glass 1 gallon jugs. All of the water jugs so far have been 7's from the company Primo. When I read up on 7's it said they could be safe or could be dangerous bc 7 is the "other" category. I emailed primo and they said that their containers are polycarbonate, which is what we don't want if I'm not mistaking. Also what I've read about number 3's is that it's PVC and that it isn't a very good choice either, especially if it's going to be heated(ie. pouring boiling water into)

Also what I've read about number 3's is that it's PVC and that it isn't a very good choice either, especially if it's going to be heated(ie. pouring boiling water into)
Probably not a good idea to pour boiling water into any sort of plastic container. Personally, I would not hesitate to get a #1 from Walmart or Home Depot. My local stores only carry #7 and PVC. #7 signifies "other" and can be a number of things. Consequently, I don't like the "unknown" nature or #7. I'm not sure about PVC. I wasn't able to find anything clearly good or bad about it as a wine container, so I'll probably stay away from it as well.

My new Walmart now has the BB ones in stock.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

I had to break down and buy another 5 gallon better bottle to rack a mead into. After a couple weeks of driving around and stopping at every big box store around, yesterday I realized that I have probably spent more in gas trying to find one for 5 bucks, than spending 22 on a new bb.

I'll still keep my eye out, but geez. *frown*

so I'm looking for PET with a #1 right? gotta finish Christmas shopping tonight and some new carboys for me would be a great gift!

I had to break down and buy another 5 gallon better bottle to rack a mead into. After a couple weeks of driving around and stopping at every big box store around, yesterday I realized that I have probably spent more in gas trying to find one for 5 bucks, than spending 22 on a new bb.

I'll still keep my eye out, but geez. *frown*

Soemtimes it's best not to think about that lol

You're looking for <2> and <3>

:mug: I'll use anything but 7.

I have no room for any more. Once my 15G Fermenter from Apex shows up and gets a test batch through it I think I'm going to order 10 or 15 of those and do away with a ton of my 5G pales and BB's.

Greetings all.
I've been trolling this board for months. I love the recipe for apfelwine( 3 - 5 gallon batches so far). So I been reading this topic. From what I understand that anything more that a +3 printed on the bottom of the jug will leech chemicals into my product which will add a off note to it. I'm just making sure this is correct. So if i get anything with 3 an under I'm good to go. I'm just wondering how many times someone can use one of these bottles.

I'm planning on doing some mass production of beer for the summer and don't want to spend 24 per glass carboy. would these also be good for beer as well? Also the only bottles I can buy has this info on the bottom:

Not to be refilled with any other liquids
Aqualite bottle
Return for refill
Pc other
Mfb by
Consolidated container company

after reading through this thread I decided to drop by one of the local Wally Worlds. They didn't have anything larger than a gallon, but they did have some 3 quart spring water jugs. No name on the jug itself besides the label, but they had the 1 in the triangle. any reason that anyone can think of not use them for a small primary?

So... I am a new wine maker and I am struggling with choosing between 6.5 and 7.9 gallon primary fermenters. I know that there are some kits out there that require larger fermenters..but what about the kits that only require a 6.5 gallon fermenter. Will it effect the outcome if I use the the larger fermenter?

Caveman911 said:
So... I am a new wine maker and I am struggling with choosing between 6.5 and 7.9 gallon primary fermenters. I know that there are some kits out there that require larger fermenters..but what about the kits that only require a 6.5 gallon fermenter. Will it effect the outcome if I use the the larger fermenter?

It is alright to have an air space in primary, but not in secondary.

Indications they may be coming to my area. I was at the Local Wally World today and saw the 3 gal, <3> bottles. They did not say they were better bottle. But I have never seen these at the store. There were no new 5gals, but on the way out I spied the returns bin and there was a 5gal <3> on the bottom of the pile that looks like what was posted here. I showed the wife and will be keeping an eye out for them. Thanks for the heads up.

In what part of Wally worlds are you all finding these?

In the original Walmart I went too, they were in the back with the soda and beer. In our new one, it is up front by the registers. Never seen them by the registers before this.

I wonder if Jefferson City carries them?

I haven't seen them in the one on the Blvd., but also haven't looked real hard either. I just glanced down the water aisle one day when I was in a hurry. I haven't even bothered to look at the one out on the East side.

Because I'm super cool, I stopped into the Blvd. Wal Mart on my way home to check. Well......that and I was texted a shopping list to pick up on my way home. :D

They had three, 3 gallon bottles, all labeled with a recycling code of 3. They didn't have any 5 gallon bottles at all.

You'll have to check the other Wal Mart on your own. I don't typically drive out that way.

Cheers!

Hey dude...you live in Jeff...how cool...I live in Tipton...just down the road on the way to Sedalia!

Back