My Birthday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kosmokramer

Reaction score
So im turning the dirty thirty in march (about six months) and im looking to make a big beer that will be ready the first week of march. I dont have the equipment to do all grain yet so extract or minimash would be great.
I am pretty new to brewing (10 extracts 2 partial mash) so i really cant pinpoint my favorite style so im open to all ideas. Thanks everyone

As a general rule of thumbs the higher the gravity the more aging it requires. So a wee heavy might need 6 months or so minimum whereas a hef might need much less. This of course doesn't account for lagering which by itself takes a while. Congrats on the b day

Do a traditional bock, or maybe a doppelbock, usually served around march, and they are pretty big beers

To me, March says spring, which says fruity and floral, which says Belgian Triple or Golden Strong. A nice hoppy Pilsner would also be great.

indigi said:
To me, March says spring, which says fruity and floral, which says Belgian Triple or Golden Strong. A nice hoppy Pilsner would also be great.

True, for me march is still winterish, not spring, but to the original poster if your weather is still winterlike I would make a darker/ bodied beer with enough hops to balance it, if its spring like and warmer I would make a pils or maibock

What day in March. I'm 3/3.

What do you like to drink?

Mine is 3-5-82...

Not really sure what i prefer. im a beer drinker so i like 95 percent of what i try. Since i have started brewing i think im leaning towards dark full bodied beers, but to me march does seam like a spring time sort of event, although nothing preventing me from making two:).

Any ideas on specific beers and recipes

Oh and i dont have dedicated refrigeration so at this point lagers are out of the question. Thanks guys

hahaha sad sad days arent they!, thats why i need a BIG beer on this special day.. my gf said she was going to have a party for me but since i have started brewing she said i get my all grain setup instead! which i much prefre

kosmokramer said:
any other ideas on styles/recipes?

If you are discovering that fuller bodied beers are your preference, maybe an imperial stout. Higher gravity, fuller bodied. There are good recipes for all the styles described suggested in this thread in the recipe section of this forum.

I enjoy Belgian beers a lot, so I'd be making a Tripel if it were me. :)

I second a RIS. I'm gonna make one of the giant ones listed in the recipe section probably one of these:
Kate the Great
Dark Night of the Soul
HBT RIS

I'm thinking i'll make it in November and try to let it sit for a year to start drinking in a year on my 30th. But from reading the different threads, you should be good drinking one in 6 months.

ive never had a belgian triple or ris :( maybe ill try to make both!!!! im also looking at denny conns vanilla bourbon imperial porter if i can find a partial mash recipe..... having several good beers to look forward to will def take some of sting off of turning thirty, thanks for the recomendations smow, ive seen quite a bit of referance to kate the great,,, time to do some research

I would say a tripel or belgian golden strong. Easy grain bill, sneaky alcohol content, and crazy drinkable. It'll be an awesome b-day.

Dude, my little sis was born in '82.

How do you feel about hops? Eh? Ok? God they're f***ing awesome? Well if the latter, I have just the thing. And you know what? it come in at 8% and ready in a month, so you can brew it once now to see if you like it, and if so, brew it again for your B-day. Ever have SN's Torpedo "extra" IPA?

Dude, my little sis was born in '82.

How do you feel about hops? Eh? Ok? God they're f***ing awesome? Well if the latter, I have just the thing. And you know what? it come in at 8% and ready in a month, so you can brew it once now to see if you like it, and if so, brew it again for your B-day. Ever have SN's Torpedo "extra" IPA?

I definitely dig the uber hoppy beers! do you know where i can find the recipe?

Back