can I trust my own opinion? not sure.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarrid

Reaction score
ok, here's my dilemma. I'm not sure if I should declare my "Questionable Mild" drinkable or not. If you remember this thread:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=29506
I was quite concerned that the batch got contaminated. Well, I went ahead with it. I was not able to get another carboy for bulk clearing (because I'm dirt poor right now), but I eventually bottled it, let it carb for about 2 weeks, and it has been in the fridge for over 3 weeks since.

The flavor is alright, but I can tell that someting funky happened because there is a grimey, not quite right aftertaste. After drinking a couple previously, they made me really gassy. It felt like I was burping up the gas from something decomposing. That was a couple weeks ago, I am drinking one now and it might be getting better. But I was really extra careful when pouring it to not let even a trace of sediment get stirred up.

Has anyone encountered anything like this? What should I expect?

jarrid said:
It felt like I was burping up the gas from something decomposing.

Wow, sounds kinda rough. If you're drinking it, then it's drinkable. The time in the fridge should've helped everything settle so it should be easier to get a clean pour.
I'm not familiar with the yeast you used, but from what I understand it creates some pretty distinct flavors, that might be part of what seems off.

You might not have given it enough time forthe yeast to consume all the priming sugar before putting it in the fridge. It will leave it a little swwet while still having the bitterness from the hops.

Putting it in the fridge early will cause the yeast to drop out before they consume their byproducts. It should improve with age, as most beers do, but will do so faster at warmer temps (just under 70 tends to be ideal).

Letting them sit for a while might be beneficial. I don't know if taking a few out and letting them sit in the basement (if you have one) for a few weeks might be a good idea. I'm not sure if pulling them from the fridge and letting them sit would adversley affect them (I usually don't chill them unless they are in a keg. The cold hides flavors), but as long as they don't get hot, I'm sure they will be fine and improve nicely.
Unless of course they are actually infected. But if they are drinkable, I think you are O.K.

Your body may be getting acclimated to fresh yeast.

When I started homebrewing, I farted like a 48 trombone marching band.

After a while it went away...for which my SWMBO was grateful. I, on the other hand, kinda miss the music. :p

hmmm, It just occurred to me that maybe I should seek out a commercial beer that uses this style of yeast (Belgian Abbey Ale) and see if there is any similarity.

Although I'm sure it will be like apples and oranges because of different ingredients/conditions, it might still be enlightening. I've been drinking cheap swill lately (and enjoying it for nostalgic purposes) so I could really use an excuse to go hit the fancy beer store. I've been looking with forlorn longing at the empty Orval bottle in my cupboard. Sigh!

As BierMuncher suggests, it sounds like a typical reaction to live yeast, you may need to let it mature a little longer to let more yeast drop out or it could be that you need to take more care when pouring. It might simply be that you are a little sensitive to it and need drink more to become accustomed to it :D

the belgian abbey yeasts like a long slow ferment in the bottle.... let em sit a month or two out of the fridge.

Back