The munichs in Dead Guy Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parratt1

Reaction score
According to the recipe below, what would you suggest out of all the different munchs found on Midwest Supplies? I am working on my 4th batch so I dont really know all of the differences yet. Thanks in advance for the help.
Midwest supplies offers: Caramunich I,II,and III.
Dark Munich, Light Munich and Munich 10L.

Dead Guy Clone (Extract & AG- see note)

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Pacman
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 at 60 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 at 60 degrees

13oz Belgiun Cara-Munich
13oz German Munich
7oz US Crystal 40 deg L

Steep grains in a bag at 155 degrees. Sparge with 1/2 gallon 170 degree water. Allow grains to drip into pot, but don't squeeze. Discard grains. Bring to a boil and add:

4lbs Alexanders Pale LME
4LBS LDME
(I substituted all XLDME)

1 oz perle 60 mins
1/4 oz perle 30 minutes
1/4 oz perle 5 mins
1/4 oz saaz 5 mins.

1 tsp Irish Moss 15 minutes

pacman yeast. If pacman is not available, try 1056 (American Ale yeast).

I've brewed 2 different Dead Guy clone recipes. Both use Munich at about 7 L. One recipe uses Caramunich II (45L) and Carastan (34L). The other recipe just uses Crystal 40L. Both were very good. So I'd say go with the Caramunich II and Munich that is between 5 & 10L. However, at the end of the day, I doubt that you will be able to notice a difference between CM II and C40. You could just go with 20 oz of one or the other.

Cheers,
Glenn

IIRC, German munich is slightly lighter. So maybe go with the light munich. Otherwise the 10L should do just fine.

Back