Muntons Carb Tabs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corexcore

Reaction score
Has anyone used these things? What are they? That is... are they just a premeasured amount of sugar, or are they an alternative method of releasing CO2? If they can release CO2 into a stable brew, then the fabled "sweet but carbed" cider without kegging would be possible. However, if they're just sugar, then my hopes will be dashed. Avast!

...Anybody got any insight? Hmm? Hopefully.

Both Coopers and Munton's carbonate using sugar. Coopers uses glucose and some sucrose. Munton's uses dextrose, DME, and heading powder. Have you considered kegging?

Do some searching around and you'll see lots of posts about the Munton's tabs not dissolving completely, but still good results. You'll need to take the DME and heading powder into consideration when deciding to use them. While fine in a beer, they may be less desirable in a hard cider.

Personally, I've used the Coopers carb drops with great success in some sparkling applewine.

Yea I have just started using these and on all three batches that I bottled they all have lots of chunks. But they did the job just not very clean finishing. I even tried using fewer tabs in some and more in others and they all have floaters.

i would personally just use regular boiled priming sugar, there has been a lot of talk around here about infections with drops. ive personally had 3 infections all from the drops.

I can rule out anything else cause on the 3 batches i did half with priming sugar and the other half with tabs for a comparison and everytime the priming sugar was fine but the tabs had infections.

After that not worth my 30-40 dollars of hard work.

I just bought the Munton tabs to use with a gallon batch I brewed so I can bottle right out of the fermenter. I have seen a lot of posts about white floaters in the bottles, has anyone figure out what is going on with this? Would crushing the tabs into powder form first then throwing them in help?

I just bought the Munton tabs to use with a gallon batch I brewed so I can bottle right out of the fermenter. I have seen a lot of posts about white floaters in the bottles, has anyone figure out what is going on with this? Would crushing the tabs into powder form first then throwing them in help?

I have tried everything besides crushing the tabs and nothing worked. But if you are going to go through all the trouble of crushing them you are probably better off just using premeasured sugar. That’s the whole point behind the tabs is that they are convenient and fast but having to crush them takes that away. I also opened one of my bottles that has been sitting for the longest with the carb tabs and while I still have floaters the beer tasted just fine and was well carbed. :tank:

I have tried everything besides crushing the tabs and nothing worked. But if you are going to go through all the trouble of crushing them you are probably better off just using premeasured sugar. That’s the whole point behind the tabs is that they are convenient and fast but having to crush them takes that away. I also opened one of my bottles that has been sitting for the longest with the carb tabs and while I still have floaters the beer tasted just fine and was well carbed. :tank:

The only reason I am trying the Muntons is because I only have a gallon batch and want to lose as little as possible with transfers and what not. I also dont have a scale that can weigh out small enough amount to carb individual bottles, so I figured I would take the recommended carb tabs and crush them. I have seen a lot of issues but also a lot of people with none. So I guess Ill just try the crushing method in a week and post my results.

From what I've hard Muntons always leave floaties in the beer while Coopers carb drops dissolve completely.

The only problem I've had with the Coopers drops was that some of them did not fit through the bottle opening. I've gotten floaties from Mutons every time...

Back