scorching issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khyber

Reaction score
We made a 7 gallon batch tonite with a pretty good setup, two containers of amber extract and one of a light extract (goal was sort of a red ale) - but noticed when we transferred to the fermenter we saw that there was a scorched spot on the bottom - we didnt remove fully from the heat when we added the extracts.. but stirred vigorously - should we be concerned? OG is 1.050 or so.

Hows the wort taste? If it is good, the beer is good. If it tastes burnt, that will carry over.

i thought it tasted malty.. its my first batch.. not totally sure how it would taste. maybe a little burnt but was hard to tell.

Aint much you can do now... let it ferment out and it will pobably be fine.

burnt should be easy to tell... it will curl your lip... anything less will be "carmelized"

Like Pol says... no worries. I would drink it.

ok.. thanks. we tasted it.. it was interesting, but wasnt 'bad' i dont think.. we'll let it ferment and see what happens.

+1 on letting it go. I scorched the crap out of my first batch and it turned out really great. So much that it makes me think if I do that one again I may have to scorch it so it turns out the same! :D

I burned my first batch pretty good. Tasted real sooty!! Everyone told me to relax and let it smooth out and blend.

I did that and it tasted like a was sucking on a campfire log.

So - if you taste it and it does not taste like a burnt log - your OK. I feel with a flavor brew you can tell if it is good or not.

On a lighter beer you will be amazed at what carbonation does to flavor.

Checked on the brew today.. getting a bubble from the yeasties about every 3 seconds.. layer of krausen has formed.. so I'm guessing that its brewing along as well as anything. We have a 7.5 gallon carboy and probably 6.5 gallons of product, so we have plenty of headspace.

Khyber, I had the same thing happen to me on one of my first brews, It turned out to be one of my best thus far. After that incident I went to my LHBS and bought a long plastic spoon and over stir when I add the extract.

+1 to the comments above, if it tastes ok you will have beer in about 6-8 weeks.

Ok.. well, today the krausen has mostly fallen to the bottom and there are about 15 seconds between bubbles in the airlock. We just put it in the fermenter saturday. I will take a SG reading tomorrow and see what that is, but could something be wrong here? Suggestions?

You should still be ok. Let your hydrometer tell you what's going on and when it's finished.

No two fermentations are alike, so what may seem atypical is probably just the way that particular one is acting. You'll be fine.

So I shouldn't stir or shake or anything at this point still.. ok.. Like Tom Petty said.. "The waiting.. is the hardest part"

Update: We checked it today, and it doesn't taste burnt at ALL. It's TASTY!! We racked it into a sanitized carboy for a secondary and put the fermentation lock back on, to let it sit another week and a half or so. Is there anything we should be aware of at this point (we were getting about 18 seconds between burps, and my SG dropped from around 1.040 OG to around 1.015 or so today.)

In Secondary: nOOb's scorched red ale

Back