What size lines, temp, pressure, etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think I am just too lazy to look for all this. I just want to know what size line do I need for my liquid. Also, at fridge temp, my beer is still foaming, and I have over 10' of line, and I'm pretty sure I changed that over to the smaller diameter. WTF? What should my IPA be carbed to at say 40 degrees temp, and how much line??

I need to buy some line and connectors for my 2.5 Gallon fire extinguisher keg and want to buy the right stuff the first time.

I did find a good Excel spreadsheet with info on it, but I need to find out what my line diameter is before I can try it out. Also need to check temp with thermometer. I want to get it working right before I invite more people to use the tap. Last time I was lucky I managed to get the Centennial Blonde flowing just right.

It's a fun game at first, but eventually you'll get it worked out. For me, 10' lines at between 36-39 degrees with the regulator set at around 10psi. Since I'm not home, I can't check for sure.

The only beer I've have foaming issues with right now is one that I overcarbed.

I just need now to find out what size line I should have. I'm ready to order the fittings to the new keg, but not sure what size I need.

3/16" ID

This gives you (theoretically) ~2.7-2.6 psi of resistance per foot. I have 10 foot lines, so theoretically I should be able to serve at 25psi and have it come out with no foam. I've been serving at 15-18 psi (dunno what temp, I'd guess around 38) with no issue and next to no foam.

Oh, and I used the highly recommended line from mcmaster carr, part number 5181K42. Its CHEAP (7.50 for 50 feet) and gives no off flavor that I can detect.

Alright, so I've got 3/16"ID x 5.5ft lines, push at 10psi, with a temp of 34F. And, like McKBrew, the only beer that's been a foamy mess is the one keg that was overcarbed.

I've found my problem. I had swapped hoses on my kegerator. The larger diameter line is now on my IPA. I thought I had installed the second smaller diameter hose already, but apparently not. I did find the bag that had my new hose and barb adapter though, so I can put it on tonight. Last night was spent rinsing the bottles and gettign kitchen cleaned up for the wife. Yes, I know my priorities.

Got my smaller line on last night. IPA is now flowing properly. Ah, life is good again. Also raised the temp up a bit, from where I had it crash cooling my latest beers.

Back