Hefe fermenting temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleobie

Reaction score
What's the right range to get the target amount of yeast flavor from fermenting a wheat? I've got a dunkel clarifying right now, and it was sitting at 72 during crazy fermentation. I've heard that this'll give it excessive banana flavor and, obviously, I'll find out what happens. But, for next time, where do I want to get this guy to sit at?

A lot of people ferment hefes warmer (67-70), but in Brewing Classic Styles, Jamil recommendes 62. I used 62 for the first week on my dunkelweiss and let it warm up a bit after that. It worked well.

Thanks. Am I correct in thinking that the higher the temp, the more banana-y esters will result?

Thanks. Am I correct in thinking that the higher the temp, the more banana-y esters will result?

I fermented my last wheat at higher temps (70-72) and got really nice esters. I used Wyeast 3068. I have another one in the primary. I started it around 64 and have been slowly bringing it up to room temp. It's at 68 today. Shooting for 70 by Sunday. Fermentation should be complete by early-mid next week.

I actually did my last weizen at around 73 (ambient temp). It all worked out well in the end. Weizens are the perfect go-to beers in the summer (for drinking and making), they tolerate a lot of temperature abuse.

(quoted by ed wort in his bee cave hefe recipe)
I've never had that problem. Are you fermenting at 68 degrees ambient? If so, then the hefe is really fermenting at 78 degrees for the first day or two due to the violent process generating heat.

I ferment in a chest freezer with a digital LOVE controller. I tape the sensor to the side of my bucket and set the temp to 68 degrees. There will be a 10 degree delta in ambient (ie, 58 degrees in the chest freezer) for the first few days, then it will equalize as it settles down, but it does ferment at 68.
this was related to a sulfur taste a user encountered even though he followed the recipe to the letter.

My dunkel's still conditioning, but it turned out fine. The banana flavor is there but is mellow and works well with the style. Primary fermentation was around 73. Thanks for your help!

My hefe is at 72-73 right now. My favorite beer is alguar hefe and it has a bannana flavor thats perfect. I just hope at 73 degree ferment its not too much bannana flavor....

I think next time im gonna go with some sort of citrus flavor.

Im also making a HEFE! was fermenting at 68f fridge temp..put a thermometer on the fermenter and now have lowered the fermenter to 65F.

Lets hope for the best. Hombrewer_99 has given me hope about my hefe, no matter how it ends up relax get drunk with it. hahaha lol

I recently made the Bavarian Hefe from Austin. I pitched the yeast around 65F and moved the fermenter to my basement. To keep it off of the concrete floor, I put the fermenter inside a styrofoam cooler with no top. At night, the temperature would dip down to roughly 58F, but for the most part it was around 60F. Since the air temperature was low, I covered the fermenter with a towel. It was happily bubbling away at the beginning of fermentation. What kind of flavors can I expect from this? I used Wyeast 3068 as my yeast.

Latest posts

Back