fermenting rice milk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdwardPaulsen

Reaction score
hi all,

i've really been enjoying whole foods' brand rice milk, which i had never had before.
in one of those 'you know you're a homebrewer when...' moments, i thought, "hey, could i ferment this stuff?"

so does anyone know if you threw in say, a WLP sake yeast, would it ferment this drink?

:)

Hmm, drinking some Rice Dream right now. It looks like there's lots of oils and other things in there but I'm not opposed to trying. Maybe I'll go take an OG reading...

well.. in homebrewing.. .our malt don't convert to simple sugar without the enzyme during our mashing process...

This applies to rice drinks too... For sake making, you will need a enzyme to break down the rice sugar. Common enzyme in sake is koji. You should be able to find it at your LHBS.

So your rice milk is not in simple sugar form... it won't make good rice wine..

I made a sake/rice wine from rice.. it was a lot of work... I stopped after first batch.
I think I'll pick it up after i get bored with beer brewing... that's going to be year 2100.

Rice milk is mostly starch. Some commercial brands have been treated with enzymes to make them sweeter and/or have added sugars. Most likely, you would have to add an enzyme to breakdown the starch, then ferment it.

Subscribed,

Add some enzyme and ferment and see how it tastes. It might be a good experiment to stop the enzymes rather quickly so it dosen't ferment out all the way and add it to a stout.

Hi, which kind of enzyme do you recommend? I don't think it is required to ferment, because you just need to break the starchs and then liquify that.
thanks

Back